Chains Wierd experience trying to get chains on L3400

/ Wierd experience trying to get chains on L3400 #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I bit the bullet and had the dealer that sold me a blower (just got it yesterday!) source me some chains for my L3400.

We went to put them on and found very little clearance between the rear tire and fender. After the chains went on there was barely any clearance left at all!. So little that I was worried about the chain ripping the fender off while in motion.

So I sent the chains back for now. I'll try a winter without them. I'm in a flat part of town so I imagine it won't be a problem for the most part.

However I think it is pretty wierd that one can't comfortably fit a set of chains on the rear tires.

I have industrials on my L3400.

Anyone else notice this problem?

/ Wierd experience trying to get chains on L3400 #2  
Set your rear tires wider....

/ Wierd experience trying to get chains on L3400
tydp said:
Set your rear tires wider....

Here's a silly question if there ever was one. How?

I figured I'd have to extend the axle. You telling me that there are multiple width settings for rear tires? Boy do I ever sound silly.

Only problem I see with this now is that my tires are now wider than my bushog - makes fence lines even harder :-(

/ Wierd experience trying to get chains on L3400 #4  
My drive has about a 10% grade in one area. I have used a blower on the 1910 with R1's and no chains for years. Last year the L3400HST took over the job and I ran the R4's with no chains. Never had a hint of traction problems. I'm sure you get more snow but I think trying it for a year is a good plan. One less hassle getting ready for winter too.

/ Wierd experience trying to get chains on L3400 #5  
On my L3130 you either have the tires on the inside or outside of the center hub or have the loops of the rims on the inside or outside of the hub and then on some tractors the "dish" of the hub is pointing inside or outside, check manual but you can have up to 4-6 different widths depending on the combination.

David

/ Wierd experience trying to get chains on L3400 #6  
There is a diagram in the L4400 manual showing how to set the wheel widths. The L3400 might have a similar diagram.