Tractor
    BX23, Hustler Mini Fastrak 42 w/mulch kit, Wheel Horse 14-38XL

Default BX23 block heater install.

It was time to change the coolant, so I decided to stop using the magnetic heater and do it right. I installed a block heater, kubota part #70000-73274 which cost about $32. I read of people installing the block heater in a freeze-out plug, but this one was threaded. There is a 1" npt plug in the side of the block which needed a 17mm hex wrench to remove, and the heater simply screwed in. I was going to take off the loader and attach the plow anyway, so removing the cowling, doing the coolant change and installing the heater was surprisingly easy. I had planned on doing a coolant flush, but what I drained out was so clean I didn't bother. I'll do that the next change. I'd rather put on the plow while its still mild than be doing it in the middle of a snow storm.
    Ken

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX-2360

Default Re: BX23 block heater install.

Youmust have the D905 engine...same as the BX2200. Anyone with the D902 will need the freeze plug type.

Banned

I bought the block heater (and installed) and never used it. Use a good oil and be done.

Tractor
    BX23, Hustler Mini Fastrak 42 w/mulch kit, Wheel Horse 14-38XL

Quote Originally Posted by hsdfcu
    I bought the block heater (and installed) and never used it. Use a good oil and be done.
    When I started the tractor in cold weather, usually to plow snow, if I didn't use the magnetic heater first it would start, but sounded horrible. With the magnetic heater which heated the oil pan it started much easier, and sounded a lot better. The block heater will heat the engine much faster than the magnetic heater, and it is heating the block around the combustion chamber, not just the oil in the pan. As for using quality oil I use Redline, you're not gonna get much better than that. I have a switch in the house that turns the power on to the shed, so now I can turn on the power about half an hour before going out rather than leaving it on all night with the mag heater.

Tractor
    BX 25

Quote Originally Posted by hsdfcu
    We just need to know what part of the world you live in or the average winter climate for comparison purposes. Folks in Quebec would have much more need of a block heater than folks in say, West Virginia.
    Bob B.

Kubota BX25, FEL, 60" MMM, Curtis cab with heat
    Kubota BX2750D snow blower, 5' Estate rake, 5' rear blade