BX23 block heater install.

/ BX23 block heater install. #1  

Ken_CT

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23, Hustler Mini Fastrak 42 w/mulch kit, Wheel Horse 14-38XL
It was time to change the coolant, so I decided to stop using the magnetic heater and do it right. I installed a block heater, Kubota part #70000-73274 which cost about $32. I read of people installing the block heater in a freeze-out plug, but this one was threaded. There is a 1" npt plug in the side of the block which needed a 17mm hex wrench to remove, and the heater simply screwed in. I was going to take off the loader and attach the plow anyway, so removing the cowling, doing the coolant change and installing the heater was surprisingly easy. I had planned on doing a coolant flush, but what I drained out was so clean I didn't bother. I'll do that the next change. I'd rather put on the plow while its still mild than be doing it in the middle of a snow storm.
Ken

/ BX23 block heater install. #2  
Youmust have the D905 engine...same as the BX2200. Anyone with the D902 will need the freeze plug type.

/ BX23 block heater install. #3  
I bought the block heater (and installed) and never used it. Use a good oil and be done.

/ BX23 block heater install.
hsdfcu said:
I bought the block heater (and installed) and never used it. Use a good oil and be done.
When I started the tractor in cold weather, usually to plow snow, if I didn't use the magnetic heater first it would start, but sounded horrible. With the magnetic heater which heated the oil pan it started much easier, and sounded a lot better. The block heater will heat the engine much faster than the magnetic heater, and it is heating the block around the combustion chamber, not just the oil in the pan. As for using quality oil I use Redline, you're not gonna get much better than that. I have a switch in the house that turns the power on to the shed, so now I can turn on the power about half an hour before going out rather than leaving it on all night with the mag heater.

/ BX23 block heater install. #5  
hsdfcu said:

We just need to know what part of the world you live in or the average winter climate for comparison purposes. Folks in Quebec would have much more need of a block heater than folks in say, West Virginia.

/ BX23 block heater install. #6  
Well, THIS is certainly an old post, but spot on for topic.

It never even occurred to me when I bought my new Kubota BX23S in 2018, that a block heater was an option for the little diesel. I just had other things on my checklist :) This week it is getting cold (- 23 C with some windchill) and everything is freezing - even the chickens don't like it. I asked my tractor buddy if he uses a block heater in his gas tractors ? He thought the BX23S might have a factory installed block heater - could be ? I'm checking. Either way, the kit is reasonably priced, and I'll be ready for next winter here in BC. :)

/ BX23 block heater install. #7  
Don't live too far from you, so did you find a block heater on yours or are you installing one. This is a really good time to have once, since its been -20c here for 2 days and I imagine you're location isn't much warmer. They really do make a huge difference. Mine is on a remote switch that you can turn on from the house, 1 hour is more than enough to warm up these small engines.

/ BX23 block heater install. #8  
well i live in north Ontario where it cold also right now just order a new L4060 and i got a block heater install at the dealer it was 162.00$ .

/ BX23 block heater install. #10  
yeah 07wingnut, we're in a deep freeze also. I will have a good look on Saturday - been too busy to check this week, but at least no recent snow in last few days. I like the idea of a remote switch, great plan.

I called the dealership, they confirmed from original invoice that I do NOT have a block heater installed (never occurred to me in May ...) My contact said that he plugs it into a timer, & doesn't need a remote (saves money).

I now have the part number for my unit # 7 000 000 776 - retails for about $207.00 and takes an hour to install ... I think I'll get the part at some point and do the install myself.

optional part number is 700000 - 7327 for a block heater

now I know

Last edited: