L2250 yr of manufacture

/ L2250 yr of manufacture #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm thinking of purchasing an L2250; 900 hrs, PS, 2 stage clutch, shuttle. Ser# 10042. can anyone give me the model year? Is $5000 too much for fair appearance, operates/runs great, poor tires? Thanks in advance

Gene P

/ L2250 yr of manufacture #2  
The L2250 was introduced in 1985, so it is not too old. Odds are that it was the 42nd machine made so it probably is a 1985 manufactured tractor. Don't know much about value, but $5000 for a 21 HP Kubota seems pretty much in line. Is it a 2WD or 4WD unit. 900 hours in 15 years is not much use. Why are the tires wore out or are they just cracked?

/ L2250 yr of manufacture
The tires are not-so-good because the tractor was used to work around the previous owner's place cleaning it up. They are dry rotted, have about 30% (guess) tread, cuts, punctures, etc all over. It has evidence of wood bark between the tire/rims, dried leaves, twigs, etc. in the usual cracks and crannies,paint is faded, and plastic grill is broken in a couple of spots. seat is good. I got to see it before it was dressed up, but it had been sitting for a while. The engine fired right up smooth and strong on cold start up, no blowby, transmission/transfer shifts and sounds good, antifreeze/oil looked normal. Hooked a 5' cutter to it and the hydraulics work crisply and hold without leaking down. My gut feeling is that it will look much better with a little cleaning/detailing. It evidently was a work tractor, not a hobby toy. If I complete the deal, it'll have a easier time with me. I had been looking at grey tractors (Yanmars), and this seemed like a better deal, not to mention parts and service advantages.

Sorry to ramble, but have been reading the posts for a while, and knew I could get info from you guys.
Thanks again
Gene

/ L2250 yr of manufacture #4  
I personally believe it is a better investment than the grey market tractors. Buy a set of tires and go for it. My last tractor was about the same age, two wheel drive, 450 hours, 40 HP MF and paid $8200. Drove it for 6 years and sold it for about $7000 and bought a new Kubota. When I sold it the tires were about 50% on one and 75% on the other so depends a lot on how much pavement time they have had.

I also thought that I could sell it easier than a grey tractor when I am through with it. I know that prices are regional to some extent, but used kubotas are far between and relatively expensive around here (Central Mississippi). Grey tractors with similar HP ratings are much smaller than the Kubota, and without the live PTO and power steering. The extra size gives more traction and comfort.

/ L2250 yr of manufacture #6  
Yeah, register and you will find that the board keeps up with read and unread messages and makes it much easier to navigate around.

Selling Kubotas is normally very easy as is John Deere. Somehow Massey and New Holland are not as much in favor here. The resale is actually a little too high in that you can buy a new one for the same price as a two year old tractor sometimes.

Many people buy a grey market tractor and do not realize what they are buying until it is too late. Sometimes, if you finance it, the bank is savy and will refuse on the basis that parts and maintenance are not available for grey market tractors.

Don't wait too long or it may disappear. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Wen,

I'll probably get it, and I'll register here on the board.

Gene P

/ L2250 yr of manufacture #8  
Whether it's a 2 wheel drive or 4WD makes a big difference in how much it's worth, but either way $5K sounds reasonable. Also, my 2250 is a 26.5 hp tractor with 21 (or so) PTO horsepower. I've had nothing but good luck (knock on wood) and bought it when it had 1200 hours. Does it have a bucket? Does the dual clutch work? Sounds like a pretty good deal, and an excellent deal if its 4wd.

Good luck
Jim

/ L2250 yr of manufacture #9  
I had it delivered this morning....along with a new 5' brush/bush hog. The weather is rain off and on (we need it), so I only had a chance to make a round or two to see how it cuts. Seems to do well. I didn't quite know what to expect since I'm getting out of a 48 PTO HP tractor with a 6' cutter.

It's a two wheel drive. I don't see much advantage of 4x4 in my situation. The PS and two stage clutch sold me on it, plus I like the shift levers on the dash.

Gene

/ L2250 yr of manufacture #10  
Congratulations Gene. Keep us posted with how you make out with the tractor. I would have sure bought it for that. Edit your profile to add your tractor and that will help others.