BX Coolant Change - Need Help Please

/ BX Coolant Change - Need Help Please #1  

r0GuE

Veteran Member
Tractor
ex-Bota Owner
Would any of you BX owners be so kind as to walk me through a coolant change on my BX-2200. It is nearly 6 years old, yet the local shop seemed perplexed as to why I'd want to change the coolant.

I've never done coolant on any vehicle before, but I'm hoping it isn't all that hard. I understand there are at least two types of fluid, and that I need to be 100% certain to get tthe right type..?

/ BX Coolant Change - Need Help Please #2  
Changing the anti freeze is easy. Remove the lower radiator hose and catch it in a large pan. Check the book to see how much it holds. If the condition of the old anti freeze is dark, then you should flush with a cleaning solution and follow the directions on the package. I use Valvoline Zerex GO5 ($12-15 per gallon) because it is specifically intended for aluminum engines, which are the most temperamental when it comes to anti freeze. It is also the one that Mercedes, Dodge, and most of the high dollar cars manufacturers use and recommend for there cars. Carquest carries both the Mercedes brand (clear) and the Zerex brand (gold). It is the "hoat" coolant (GO5) (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) that makes the difference. Some people buy anti freeze based on price, not quality. All anti freeze will protect from freezing, but not all will protect the metal parts of the engine and cooling system as well. Corrosion of the cooling system can cost many times more than the cost of the anti freeze. Mix only with distilled water, not tap water. Tap water contains minerals that can cause problems later in the anti freeze life span. A 50/50 mix is ideal. You should change anti freeze every 2 or 3 years. The lubricating qualities deteriorate with age, not use. Check the condition of the hoses to determine if they should be replaced. Dispose of the old anti freeze properly, because it is toxic to humans and animals.
Dusty

/ BX Coolant Change - Need Help Please #3  
Don't we just need the standard green coolant? Aren't the bx engines cast iron not aluminum engines?

/ BX Coolant Change - Need Help Please #4  
Yes, the BX engine is cast iron, but the reason that I use the new GO5 formula is the radiator, which isn't cast iron, but probably costs like gold if you have to replace it. Two gallons of the cheap stuff is $15 and the best cost double $30. For $15 an extra $5 a year, I will go with the best. Almost forgot, the thermostat housing and upper hose neck are both aluminum. I don't know what other parts on the engine are aluminum, but I suspect that the water pump might also be. The use of aluminum requires special corrosion protection.
Dusty

/ BX Coolant Change - Need Help Please
Seems to me that somebody once posted that they had to run the engine wuith the coolant out and a cover over the intake to get a valve to open allowing the block to emplty. Is this true? Is this really necessary?

Also, what do you do with the old stuff?

Thanks for all the help!

/ BX Coolant Change - Need Help Please #6  
You should never run the engine without coolent. That is one of the fastest methods to ruin an engine. If you need to flush the engine, you should remove the thermostat first and then fill with cleaning solution. The thermostat top housing is pictured below. Two bolts hold it to the engine. You will need a new gasket also. Check with your local town for instructions for proper disposal of the anti freeze. Some towns have a recycling program for anti freeze. DO NOT dump it into your septic system!! Also, don't dump it into the public sewage system unless your town tells you that it is ok.
Dusty

Attachments

• MVC-224F.JPG
    MVC-224F.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,144
   / BX Coolant Change - Need Help Please #7  
Just did the BX 2200 today, perfect timing for your question, here is what I did.

1.Take the bonnet off, 2 screws at the front and one on each side. I did not have take the grill guard off to remove the bonnet.
2.Take the cap off of the radiator with the engine off. CAUTION HOT, I used a rag to cover the cap.
3.Open the radiator (Use a Philips head screw driver) drain on the right side (if sitting on the tractor), near the oil filter. Place a rag in front of the drain plug to prevent the coolant from going onto near by electrical stuff.
4. Drain into a container.
5. Pour water from hose into radiator to flush with engine off.
6. Put the drain plug back in.
7. Fill radiator with water and put cap on.
8. Block air intake screen with a plastic bag to get the tractor hot enough to open thermostat. Run tractor until the temperature gage is about half way.
9. Shut off engine; relieve pressure by opening cap CAUTION HOT, I used a rag to cover the cap.
10. Open drain pug in #3 and drain. CAUTION HOT
11. Continue to do #9 and 10; each time filling get tractor and running to temp and them drain. I did it 4 times, just water each time, or until clear.
12. Put plug back into place and fill with 50/50 mixture of distilled water and antifreeze. Took about 60 oz of the mixture. I use Prestone it matched the requirements as per the manual. Fill to the top of the radiator opening and put cap back on
13. Empty overflow tank my removing small hose on the bottom to get out old antifreeze.
14. Fill overflow tank with straight antifreeze to L mark.
15. Run and check for leaks
16. DONE enjoy a cold one.:D
17. When the engine cools down, check the overflow tank to make sure it has antifreeze in it. Also pull the cap off the radiator and make sure liquid is at the top. Put the bonnet back on.

/ BX Coolant Change - Need Help Please #8  
Get some diesel rated coolant (Kubota brand??) and do it.
Enjoy.
Bob

/ BX Coolant Change - Need Help Please #9  
NY_Yankees_Fan said:
Just did the BX 2200 today, perfect timing for your question, here is what I did.

1.Take the bonnet off, 2 screws at the front and one on each side. I did not have take the grill guard off to remove the bonnet.
2.Take the cap off of the radiator with the engine off. CAUTION HOT, I used a rag to cover the cap.
3.Open the radiator (Use a Philips head screw driver) drain on the right side (if sitting on the tractor), near the oil filter. Place a rag in front of the drain plug to prevent the coolant from going onto near by electrical stuff.
4. Drain into a container.
5. Pour water from hose into radiator to flush with engine off.
6. Put the drain plug back in.
7. Fill radiator with water and put cap on.
8. Block air intake screen with a plastic bag to get the tractor hot enough to open thermostat. Run tractor until the temperature gage is about half way.
9. Shut off engine; relieve pressure by opening cap CAUTION HOT, I used a rag to cover the cap.
10. Open drain pug in #3 and drain. CAUTION HOT
11. Continue to do #9 and 10; each time filling get tractor and running to temp and them drain. I did it 4 times, just water each time, or until clear.
12. Put plug back into place and fill with 50/50 mixture of distilled water and antifreeze. Took about 60 oz of the mixture. I use Prestone it matched the requirements as per the manual. Fill to the top of the radiator opening and put cap back on
13. Empty overflow tank my removing small hose on the bottom to get out old antifreeze.
14. Fill overflow tank with straight antifreeze to L mark.
15. Run and check for leaks
16. DONE enjoy a cold one.:D
17. When the engine cools down, check the overflow tank to make sure it has antifreeze in it. Also pull the cap off the radiator and make sure liquid is at the top. Put the bonnet back on.

I will only disagree on two points.
1) You should always use a 50/50 mix, even in the radiator overflow tank.
2) The cap should never be removed once you have refilled the radiator and filled the overflow tank. When you remove the radiator cap, you break the "seal" that is created between the radiator and the overflow coolant tank. When the coolant gets hot and expands, it enters the overflow tank. When it cools, the radiator cap opens a port to the overflow tank, and it sucks the liquid back into the tank to keep the coolant system full without any air in it. A radiator cap increases the boiling point of the coolant 3 degrees for every 1 pound of pressure. It works the same way as a pressure cooker works. Raise the pressure and you will raise the boiling point. In a pressure cooker, food cooks faster at the elevated temperatures. If your engine runs too hot, you will cook your oil and other engine components.

One point that you didn't mention that might apply to some machines, that have cab heaters. The cab heater needs to have the heater shut off valve opened when flushing. Also, before you refill, you should put low air pressure to the top of the block to push out the water that might be left in the block or the cab heater core. That water will still have minerals in it that are harmful to the cooling system.
Dusty

/ BX Coolant Change - Need Help Please #10  
Dusty,

"Also, before you refill, you should put low air pressure to the top of the block to push out the water that might be left in the block or the cab heater core."

How do you do this with a BX??

"The cap should never be removed once you have refilled the radiator and filled the overflow tank."

I do not understand this statement, can you explain further? If you put the cap back on why would the system not work when it gets hot again?

Rogue,

If you check the manual on page 55 (in my book) it gives you step by step instructions on how to do this. NOTE: On page 55 it says to use a cleaner to flush the system BUT then on pg 56 it says not to use a cleaner and just use water. Go figure!

Also it says to fill the recovery tank to the Full mark.