wood splitter: is hydraulic GPM sufficient?

/ wood splitter: is hydraulic GPM sufficient? #1  

sevilla

Silver Member
Tractor
L3830
Hi everybody, I'm considering a log splitter of the local Tractor Supply that connects to the 3 point hitch and uses the hydraulic of the tractor. I have a Kubota L3830 that delivers about 8 GPM (less at the remote?) so I'm wandering if the speed and power I'll get out of it will be sufficient, considering that I must cut the logs at no more than 16 inches to fit into my wood stove. Also is it possible to reduce the travel of the piston in order to make the cycling faster? Is the TS splitter reliable? Thanks for your help.

/ wood splitter: is hydraulic GPM sufficient? #2  
You will be happy with the TSC unit. My little tractor has only something like 5GPM at 2600RPM. I run my TSC splitter at about 1800RPM and it is fine. You do NOT have to run the ram all the way. If your log splits after the first 3-4 inches, then just reverse the ram and go backwards. I have to run it the entire distance only about 5% of the time. A typical split involves 3-4 inches forward, stop, reverse and run 3-4 inches back, remove the split wood, add new log and repeat. Putting a log on the splitter, splitting the log and removing the pieces takes less than 15-18 seconds. As far as I am concerned, this speed offers a safety factor. There is no way I want my hands near a wedge moving several inches in less than 1-2 seconds which is the speed some people want. One split second of not paying attention could cost you a hand. I would prefer that the wedge take 3-5 seconds per direction.

There is a loud satisfying crack every time that oak log splits cleanly in half.

The leg set is worthless. I run mine on the 3PT without legs and the splitter rests on a small furniture dolly when not in use. I had custom length hoses made to fit my JD quick connect power beyond. Also, don't forget to get hydraulic fluid when you buy it.

/ wood splitter: is hydraulic GPM sufficient?
Thanks for the insights! only one thing i did not understand: why do I need to buy the hydraulic fluid. Isn't the tractor fluid enough? Thank you again.

/ wood splitter: is hydraulic GPM sufficient? #4  
sevilla said:
Thanks for the insights! only one thing i did not understand: why do I need to buy the hydraulic fluid. Isn't the tractor fluid enough? Thank you again.

You may have to add to your tractor some hydraulic fluid particularly if the splitter ram is void of all fluid. It won't amount to much. The L3830 should perform very well at a fraction of the noise level and just sitting there sipping the diesel. When your done, you can use the loader to move some firewood as well. You have the power plant and mobile unit, why not take advantage of it. Have fun... :cool:

/ wood splitter: is hydraulic GPM sufficient? #5  
The TSC unit will be dry. Have 2 gallons ready of the oil that is spec for your tractor. They will share one common oil system. If you already have some, you're OK. I was just trying to save you a second trip to the store. Not everyone has a couple gallons of extra fluid laying around. Cycle the ram back and forth all the way a couple times to get the cylinder filled and all air purged. You will be able to tell by the sound when all is OK.

The one bad thing about having a splitter is the uncontrollable urge to cut down anything over 6" diameter and to split it.

/ wood splitter: is hydraulic GPM sufficient? #6  
I bought the Northern Tool model and it works great with the 4710. I can't remember the gpm on it but I think its around 10 to 12 gpm. I always set mine up on a couple of logs and I made extra long hoses that go to the QD on the back of the tractor. That way you can put a little space between the tractor and the splitter. Cycle times are slower than a standard self contained log splitter but are defintely acceptable. It will split anything I put in it and the tractor never even grunts.

I now have a Kubota RTV-900 with the rear hyd remotes. I'm thinking of changing the fittings on the splitter hoses so I can run it from the RTV. I'm sure I would use a lot less fuel. I was concerned about the cycle time since it only puts out 5 gpm but it sounds like it's working OK for gordon21 so I think I'll go for it.

Let us know how it works out if you buy one.

/ wood splitter: is hydraulic GPM sufficient?
Hi everybody, I got the TSC wood slitter saturday and I assembled and used it very little today with my L3830 to check it out: it is fantastic (in my opinion). I do not need anything faster than that. Thank you all very much for the helpful advices. Now I need your help again: the splitter came with a "closed spool kit" to convert open center valve to closed center. What is that? Thank you again.

/ wood splitter: is hydraulic GPM sufficient? #8  
The closed center plug kit is used to convert the open center valve to a closed center valve. The difference between an open center and closed center system is that an open center system has a pump that is always pumping fluid thru the system and the fluid needs a complete path back to the tank. A closed center system is usually pump on demand. Adding a closed center valve to an open center system will cause the pump to deadhead and fail, costing you serious dollars to repair.

/ wood splitter: is hydraulic GPM sufficient? #9  
The closed center will cause the pump to blow apart. Kubota 245 DT. Ask how I know.