Powering a standby generator?

/ Powering a standby generator? #21  
I don't understand all the concern about putting hours on your tractors. What did you get them for in the first place? The tractor is probably good for 4K to 6K hours with normal use, and the engine and pto drive alone should be good for a whole lot more than that. If the tractor is in a stationary application, there is no wear on steering box, wheel bearings, tires, etc.

The obvious answer to the problem of not having the tractor available for "clearing the driveway" is to get another tractor. On the farm that usually isn't a problem, as there is usually a utility tractor available for things like powering a grain auger or running a pto irrigation pump.

One thing to consider is some kind of safety switch to shut the tractor down in case of a broken fan belt or some other potential engine-destroying mishap. A dealer once made a strong sales pitch in favor of just running new tractors with factory warranty when running a pto irrigation pump.

PTO power is cheap, dependable power.

/ Powering a standby generator? #22  
redlevel said:
I don't understand all the concern about putting hours on your tractors. What did you get them for in the first place? The tractor is probably good for 4K to 6K hours with normal use, and the engine and pto drive alone should be good for a whole lot more than that. If the tractor is in a stationary application, there is no wear on steering box, wheel bearings, tires, etc.

The obvious answer to the problem of not having the tractor available for "clearing the driveway" is to get another tractor. On the farm that usually isn't a problem, as there is usually a utility tractor available for things like powering a grain auger or running a pto irrigation pump.

One thing to consider is some kind of safety switch to shut the tractor down in case of a broken fan belt or some other potential engine-destroying mishap. A dealer once made a strong sales pitch in favor of just running new tractors with factory warranty when running a pto irrigation pump.

PTO power is cheap, dependable power.

You raise some good points. My generators have low oil shutdown and don't have radiators. If you are going to run a tractor unattended you might want to add some protection for these events. Hundreds of hours of unattended operation could be a problem. We each have unique needs and unique capabilites. It is interesting to hear other's takes on this.

/ Powering a standby generator? #23  
That's the way I feel, I am not a bit concerned with hours on my M6800 thats what I bought it for is to use and running my house in the event of a power outage will be a good use I will just check the oil before I start up and every couple of hours make sure everything is going fine and it shouldn't be a problem at all.

/ Powering a standby generator? #24  
Larry_Illinois said:
Hi all,

Is anyone using an BX-2350 (or other Kubota tractor) using the power takeoff to drive a AC standby generator?

I am currently using a 6500 watt welder/generator for powering our well and other circuts in the house. It runs a 3600 rpm and drinks gas really well. I would like to power an even larger generator off the power takeoff. There are ones made for the 540 rpm which is geared up to 1800 or so rpm. I would expect the BX-2350 would do a good job and be more stingey on fuel.

Any comments and success stories would be appreciated.
Thanks Larry
What if you need the tractor for something else ?

/ Powering a standby generator? #25  
Larry_Illinois said:
Hi all,

Is anyone using an BX-2350 (or other Kubota tractor) using the power takeoff to drive a AC standby generator?

I am currently using a 6500 watt welder/generator for powering our well and other circuts in the house. It runs a 3600 rpm and drinks gas really well. I would like to power an even larger generator off the power takeoff. There are ones made for the 540 rpm which is geared up to 1800 or so rpm. I would expect the BX-2350 would do a good job and be more stingey on fuel.

Any comments and success stories would be appreciated.
Thanks Larry

Get a NG Gen.
This would be especially nice if you had free gas where you lived.

/ Powering a standby generator? #26  
LBrown59 said:
Get a NG Gen.
This would be especially nice if you had free gas where you lived.

Natural Gas generators are nice, but you are using one utility to back up another. During hurricane Isabel trees were blow over and the up rooting took out gas mains in places. They fixed it pretty quick, but just something to consider.

/ Powering a standby generator? #27  
I think the difficulties of storing gasoline are very much exagerated.

A 5 gallon plastic gas container is less than $6 at Wally World, six containers and a quart of Sta-Bil, which is found right near the gas containers, will set you back less than $50.

Put a full dose of Sta-Bil in the containers before you leave the Wally World parking lot and fill them on the way home. The gas going into the containers stirs up the Sta-Bil if you put it in first.

You now have enough gas to run your generator for 30 hours or so, which is really enough for several days of power outage.

Plus, a 5-gallon container of gas can be bartered for a lot of things you might not have thought to stockpile in a real emergency. If you decide an evacuation is necessary, that gas is going to work just fine in the tank of your car. If after a couple of days of outage you and your neighbors decide that consolidating into one house and sharing supplies for the duration might be a good move, you will be very welcome with the remainder of your gas and a generator. If things get really desperate, those empty containers will hold gas scavenged from the tanks of cars.

Every six months or so I pour the gas into the tank of my pickup and re-fill the containers to be certain it is fresh.

This costs $50 plus a bit under $100 for the fuel. I can't do a natural gas conversion for anywhere near that price. And, the natural gas won't fuel my car and has no barter value.

/ Powering a standby generator? #28  
BobRip said:
Natural Gas generators are nice, but you are using one utility to back up another. During hurricane Isabel trees were blow over and the up rooting took out gas mains in places. They fixed it pretty quick, but just something to consider.
That is why I favor the Tri-Fuel generators. As I wrote earlier, mine is hooked up to the natural gas line, but in the event of a natural gas outage (never had one in my area in my 46 years of life) then I just have to pour gasoline into the tank. It converts automatically. If I run out of gasoline, which would likely happen because I don't keep much more than 10 or 12 gallons around, I could connect up to some of the propane tanks I have! It won't run long on my little 20 pound tanks, but between NG, Gas & Propane, then I doubt I'd have much problems.

Our worst outage occurred during an ice storm, we were snowed in for 3 full days, temps were below Zero for 4 or 5 days in a row and dipped to -15 at each night. A generator was NECESSARY then and when we finally got plowed out, several gas stations in the area were out of gas!:eek:

/ Powering a standby generator? #29  
CurlyDave said:
I think the difficulties of storing gasoline are very much exagerated.

A 5 gallon plastic gas container is less than $6 at Wally World, six containers and a quart of Sta-Bil, which is found right near the gas containers, will set you back less than $50.

Put a full dose of Sta-Bil in the containers before you leave the Wally World parking lot and fill them on the way home. The gas going into the containers stirs up the Sta-Bil if you put it in first.

You now have enough gas to run your generator for 30 hours or so, which is really enough for several days of power outage.

Plus, a 5-gallon container of gas can be bartered for a lot of things you might not have thought to stockpile in a real emergency. If you decide an evacuation is necessary, that gas is going to work just fine in the tank of your car. If after a couple of days of outage you and your neighbors decide that consolidating into one house and sharing supplies for the duration might be a good move, you will be very welcome with the remainder of your gas and a generator. If things get really desperate, those empty containers will hold gas scavenged from the tanks of cars.

Every six months or so I pour the gas into the tank of my pickup and re-fill the containers to be certain it is fresh.

This costs $50 plus a bit under $100 for the fuel. I can't do a natural gas conversion for anywhere near that price. And, the natural gas won't fuel my car and has no barter value.

Good process. I run the gas in my tractor and refill the cans as needed. I take Stabil with me to the gas station and do not bring gas home without the Stabil in it. I use a thirty gallon container as well as 5 gallon jugs, but I think the 5 gallon tanks are a better deal and you can rotate your supply easier. Use the oldest first. You might add a siphon to get gas out of cars and practice finding the drain lines on your own cars. Most cars with fuel injection have a drain line that you have to start as a sihpon. Add your 30 gallons to whats in a couple of cars and you are in even better shape. If you hear a storm is coming fill you cars immediately.

/ Powering a standby generator? #30  
I have a smaller BX and was eyeballing a used, small pto generator. I thought I would stick it in a corner somewhere just in case. I just want to run the hot water heater, well pump,fridge,and a couple lights. Not all at once, but as needed. I'm not planning on living life like I'm on the grid, so I don't think I'd have to let the tractor run all day and night. Just a few hours here and there. Actually we don't lose power too often, I'd say in fifteen years we've been without power a couple of days twice. So if I can get a used pto generator, I don't have to maintain anything (at least I don't think there's any maintenance, tell me if that's wrong). For me, no maintenance are the magic words.