Powering a standby generator?

/ Powering a standby generator? #1  

Larry_Illinois

Hi all,

Is anyone using an BX-2350 (or other Kubota tractor) using the power takeoff to drive a AC standby generator?

I am currently using a 6500 watt welder/generator for powering our well and other circuts in the house. It runs a 3600 rpm and drinks gas really well. I would like to power an even larger generator off the power takeoff. There are ones made for the 540 rpm which is geared up to 1800 or so rpm. I would expect the BX-2350 would do a good job and be more stingey on fuel.

Any comments and success stories would be appreciated.
Thanks Larry

/ Powering a standby generator? #2  
Larry:

I suspect this is a temporary situation, because long-term powering from either of the sources you mention is just not practical.

Consider an option you haven't mentioned. I think the most cost-effective way to get more power is to get a second generator.

When I looked at this for my own situation, about 6 months ago, I ended up with a gas-guzzling 15 KW (continuous) generator to power my 3 hp well pump. I paid $1800 new, delivered for a big Generac from Home Depot on line. It burns about 1.5 gal/ hour, but I only put on a few hours per month, so the cost of fuel is minor compared to the really good price I got on the generator. I have probably put less than $200 worth of gas in it in 6 months.

A few months later my contractor needed a generator about 500' away & I just bought a smaller one and never looked back.

In your case, I suspect you could get a 2 KW generator for under $500. I have seen them for $200. Run the small one when you need less output, the big one for intermediate, and both for max. Don't try to hook them together or anything fancy, just plug the circuits you need into each generator as necessary.

A PTO generator will set you back a lot more than that, and it will take a long, long time to make up the difference in fuel savings.

/ Powering a standby generator? #3  
The rule of thumb on PTO generators is 1 KW of output for every 2 HP at the PTO. Using this formula, your BX would produce less than 9 KW of electricity although it would do it with fewer gallons of fuel per day than a gasoline generator. For more info you can try NoOutage Home.

/ Powering a standby generator? #4  
Kind of like using a $100 knife to do what a $2.00 screwdriver was designed to do. Will it work, yes, is it the best way, maybe not. I would follow CurlyDave's line of thinking. Good luck with whatever you decide.

/ Powering a standby generator? #5  
This discussion comes up about this time every year. The points that always struck me ware do you want to go hook up a generator to the tractor during the big storm? Do you want to put 24 hrs per day on your tractor meter for the length of the outage?

MarkV

/ Powering a standby generator? #6  
MarkV said:
This discussion comes up about this time every year. The points that always struck me ware do you want to go hook up a generator to the tractor during the big storm? Do you want to put 24 hrs per day on your tractor meter for the length of the outage?

MarkV

I agree, with a portable generator, I can clear the driveway and power the house at the same time. Tough to do with a pto unit.

/ Powering a standby generator? #7  
MarkV said:
This discussion comes up about this time every year. meter for the length of the outage?

MarkV

Yup. I keep imagining these people with a tractor parked next to the house, running near WOT, racking-up a thousand hours, cutting power to change oil, etc. etc. The only application for a PTO generator I can imagine is to get power someplace only a tractor can go.

RDnT

/ Powering a standby generator? #8  
The only application for a PTO generator I can imagine is to get power someplace only a tractor can go.

I can drag an extension cord lots of places my tractor can't go. The generator fits right in the FEL...

/ Powering a standby generator? #9  
CurlyDave said:
I can drag an extension cord lots of places my tractor can't go. The generator fits right in the FEL...

Very good point.
Bob

/ Powering a standby generator? #10  
CurlyDave said:
The only application for a PTO generator I can imagine is to get power someplace only a tractor can go.

OK, then I can't imagine any application for a PTO generator :)