Foward Reverse is backwards

/ Foward Reverse is backwards #1  

MaltbyMower

Tractor
Kubota B7100 HST/Kubota L4350MDT/John Deere L130
I have a B7100 HST. Today I started it up and drove it 100 yards, then turned it off. After letting it sit for 5 minutes, I started it again. A plume of smoke came out of the air cleaner and when I pressed on the foward pedal of my HST, IT WENT BACKWARD! And you guessed it, backward was forward. The only thing I could guess was the engine was turning backwards so I quickly shut it off. I started it several more times, this time I know the engine was spinning the correct way by the fan and exaust pressure. The tractor pedals are still reversed and the more it runs the less effective they become. It is like I have my brakes on. When I push the pedal down, the engine bears down but the tractor won't move. Fluid was a little low, so I topped it off but that did not help. After letting the tactor sit for several hours and trying again, the pedals worked fine for about 10 feet and not it back to feeling like the parking brake is on.

Anyone know how bad I broke my 'bota and/or know what it will take to fix it?

Thanks,
!MaltbyMower

/ Foward Reverse is backwards #2  
MALTBY; sorry but i don't hve a clue.that is really strange. best bet is KUBMECH sees this post, he will probably know what is wrong.

/ Foward Reverse is backwards #3  
You say you're sure the engine is running forward from the "fan and exhaust pressure". You can't really tell from the exhaust pressure. The fan may or may not pull air through the radiator - some Kubotas push it through, so that's not a reliable indicator either, unless you know for sure which way yours turns. Does everything else work? Does it make any weird noises when it starts? Is it smoking more than normal?

/ Foward Reverse is backwards
My father (sold Kubotas for years) told me over the phone that they draw air through the radiator, although I have him stumped too. The engine seems to be running fine. All of the other hydrulics and PTOs operate normally.

/ Foward Reverse is backwards #5  
I know very little about the B-series Kubotas. I've owned 4 L-series - 3 pulled through the radiator and 1 pushed it back out. A friend of mine who lives nearby has an L2250 that pushes.

It's a strange problem, no doubt about it. If the rear PTO is turning the right direction, the engine definitely is, too. I suspect the hydraulic pump got damaged somehow in the mishap, but I have no idea how or why.

/ Foward Reverse is backwards #6  
Have you done a visual check of all the linkages under the deck? It's possible that something got bent enough to cause something like this. It just seems to me that anything that disastrous in the hydraulic pump would affect the PTO as well.

/ Foward Reverse is backwards #7  
charliebrn - The PTO is driven mechanically, not through the hydraulic pump, so they're totally separate. Unless the B-series design is completely different from the L-series in that respect.

/ Foward Reverse is backwards #8  
Yes, this is one for Kubmech, unfortunately, he is away for another week and a half.

/ Foward Reverse is backwards #9  
Brandon -

I can't really help you with your hydro problem, but it's mysterious enough that I'll be watching this thread with interest.

I am curious, though -- was your profile picture taken before, during or after the incident?
crazy.gif

page-108-04.jpg

/ Foward Reverse is backwards #10  
And the moral of that story is: Never, but never, post a picture anywhere online unless you want it to haunt you in the worst possible way, at the worst possible moment. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

If it's any consolation, MaltbyMower, at least Harv didn't doctor it, which is a lot better than some have fared. At least, I don't think he did... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif