Kubota L2900 PTO wont disengage

/ Kubota L2900 PTO wont disengage #1  

ddudeck

Tractor
Kubota L2900 GST
I have a Kubota L2900 GST that has a rear PTO that won't disengage. The linkage appears to be functioning properly however no matter which position the engagement lever is in, the PTO turns.
The hydraulic fluid was 3 qts low. I filled and ran tractor for approx. 1 hour wiht no change.

Please help.

/ Kubota L2900 PTO wont disengage #2  
As long as the linkage to the pto is connected and not damaged the most likely cause for this failure is the snap ring that holds the front half of the pto over running clutch has come off causing it to move to the rear and engage the back half of the clutch, which is normally held away from the front half by the shifter. This will require a split to repair.

/ Kubota L2900 PTO wont disengage #3  
How old of a tractor is it, how many hours? Any pics?

/ Kubota L2900 PTO wont disengage #4  
I'm having this same problem on a 340 hr machine. L2900 / GST.
Wondering if anyone can confirm the diagnosis of ART Q????? The cable is moving the external levers of the engagment rods. Everything was working fine, then all of a sudden
can't turn off the rear PTO. As the bush hog slows down spinning you can hear the click click click of what I'm guessing is the overrunning clutch, I don't recall hearing that before.
If it really is a snap ring that came off, what are the implications of the ring falling into the gears of the transmission????? Is this a better ripe it apart before more damage kind of thing?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

/ Kubota L2900 PTO wont disengage #5  
Just Bumping to top to see if anyone has something to add.
Mostly worried about using the machine if this snap ring did come off and if it could
cause Worst damage.

/ Kubota L2900 PTO wont disengage #6  
I just purchased a used L2900 GST and appear to have the exact same symptom. Not being familiar with the tractor I wasn't sure if this was correct behavior but it didn't seem to be right. The PTO lever (I don't have the independent PTO option) doesn't appear to do anything and the PTO spline is rotating all the time. And as I turned the tractor off with the brush hog on, it went click, click, click just as you described.

Did you find anything out about your problem?

I bought the tractor with a seized engine. It is a learning project for me. I rebuilt the engine and just got everything back together today and am now investigating other potential problems. If in fact, this repair requires cracking the tractor, I sure would have liked to have known this when I tore it all down the first time :(

/ Kubota L2900 PTO wont disengage #7  
Sorry to hear that you people have had than same problem as I had. I am the owner of a 1994 L3300 with 1500 hours on it. The snap ring broke on the driving shaft of the front clutch disk allowing it to shift into the rear clutch half.

As you likely know by now you have to split the tractor. Its about a 3-4 day job for a repair shop and around $1000.

I looked at the problem after my mechanic split the tractor. My mechanic felt that the design for this set-up is poor. I, as an engineer agree. Kubota has a 1.2mm (.05") thick x 25mm diameter snap ring retaining about a 3-4 pound spring loaded clutch plate.

Apparently, the forces generated by the spring loaded clutch plate striking the snap ring breaks the snap ring sooner or later. In fact, Kutbota emailed me regarding this failure - noting that they were not responsible for 'maintenance items'. (Can anyone tell me how a snap ring inside the tractor housing is a maintenance item?)

The number of posts I am seeing across the internet for this same issue only serve to convince me that the design appears to be a problem.

I would like to hear from all of you who have had this issue.

I contacted Kubota and they were less than sympathetic about this PTO issue. But, I have had other issues with this tractor since I first purchase it new, with Kubota consistently denying an responsiblilty.

I am planning on reporting this issue as a safety defect to the Consumer Products Safety Commission. So, anyone else that responds would only serve to reinforce the need for Kubota to address the issue.

Finally, I am certain that I will NEVER buy another Kubota product again!

/ Kubota L2900 PTO wont disengage #8  
...I am planning on reporting this issue as a safety defect to the Consumer Products Safety Commission. So, anyone else that responds would only serve to reinforce the need for Kubota to address the issue....

Please keep us posted on the response you get from the Consumer Products Safety Commission... :laughing:

/ Kubota L2900 PTO wont disengage #9  
I repaired an L3400HST the other day with a PTO that wouldn't shut off. She said she was rototilling and ran over a hose and ever since the PTO wouldn't turn off. I was expecting the worst, like a twisted spline or something not letting the shift collar return. It took me probably 15 minutes to diagnose and repair. I worked the PTO lever from behind the machine so I could see the cable, the cable wasn't doing anything but bunching up when I moved the lever to the off position. So I removed the sheetmetal near the PTO shift lever where it goes into the transmission. The lever is spring loaded and was not returning, a couple of squirts of WD-40 and working it back and forth a couple of times it was as good as new. I reinstalled the cover and charged the nice lady $45 and went on my way. There was no way that her running over the hose had anything to do with her problem, it was completely coincidental.

Brian

Last edited:
   / Kubota L2900 PTO wont disengage #10  
I have a L3400 with this same issue. After reading Brian's post, I went out and oiled up the spring mechanism after seeing it seemed to stick in the engaged position even after disengaging it. I moved the PTO handle back and forth a few times, and it seems to be unstuck now. Thanks Brian for the info.