Anyone Load rear tires of their L-39?

/ Anyone Load rear tires of their L-39? #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
With the ground starting to freeze up, I have started to move some large stumps to the dump piles and clear out some boulders that will be a nuisance for the excavator.

Carrying these in the grapple, the tractor gets real tipsy on a slight slope, especially down hill of if a front tire drops in a low spot.

I took a deep breath as one rear slowly lifted, then settled as I exhaled. I don't need this!

I think its ridiculous for the Kubota L-39 IOM saying not to load rears with BH attached.

I imagine that I may not be able to lift the tires off ground as easy and that the how may not be able to pick up the tractor and position the machine like I do. (Oops! I forgot, I’m not supposed to that either!)

Also I worry that the machine will be even more underpowered with the added weight, especially climbing my hills and working my way up the ridge.

My question on the above is to what extent I will change the over all operation of the machine with Beet juice in the rears? Am I better off just really crawling with heavy loads. I do not move fast now, and I think crawling would just get me trouble slower.

I would appreciate any comments from those with experience.
Thanks.

/ Anyone Load rear tires of their L-39? #2  
I personally don't know, but I cannot see much of a problem with loading the rears for more counterweight. The BH positioners might have more problem lifting up the rear end when you need too, but I think they probably have enough hydraulic power to do it.

The BH itself weighs around 2.2K pounds. Certainly if the BH was removed there would be no problem.....

/ Anyone Load rear tires of their L-39? #3  
I have a L39, live in central NH on a hill and property with lots of grade. Have back tires loaded and fronts foamed. It performs very well with and without the backhoe. Moved a one ton stump in bucket (w/BH on) on steep grade and it was quite stable. I was quite carefull.
No way to really tell the performance differences unless you did the same tasks with loaded and not loaded tires. In my opinion, loading tires is a necessity when working steep grades. The BH raises the center of balance.

/ Anyone Load rear tires of their L-39? #4  
Hey Mike & Skypup,
When i bought my L39, the Dealer filled the Rear Tires. Not sure with what
kind of liquid?? I took it for granted they knew what they were doing. To date,
I have not had any issues. When useing the BH the stabilizers lift the rear end-even at idle speed. Im in Florida, so i dont know how it would affect you
climbing hills etc.
It was a long journey making a decision on what model to buy.... For my needs the L39 is the perfect machine!
Researching and reading all of the posts..You guy's helped me with the decision.
Thanks

/ Anyone Load rear tires of their L-39? #5  
We've had our L-39 for two years now and it has approx 450 hours on it, it has been a real workhorse, no problems and it is raring to go at all times! :D

Glad to hear that you enjoy yours too!

/ Anyone Load rear tires of their L-39? #6  
Someone got an answer from Kubota on why they say not to fill, but I don't remember what it was. (Anyone??)

Personally, I would fill the tires so fast it would make your head swim. If I had the extra $$, I would add rear well weights too!

jb

/ Anyone Load rear tires of their L-39?
pdsrms said:
I have a L39, live in central NH on a hill and property with lots of grade. Have back tires loaded and fronts foamed. It performs very well with and without the backhoe. Moved a one ton stump in bucket (w/BH on) on steep grade and it was quite stable. I was quite carefull.
No way to really tell the performance differences unless you did the same tasks with loaded and not loaded tires. In my opinion, loading tires is a necessity when working steep grades. The BH raises the center of balance.

Edited
I have a L39, Building our new Farm/Home in central NH on a hill (Breezy Ridge) and property with lots of grade. I have not loaded back tires or had the fronts foamed. It performs very well with the backhoe. I moved many one ton stumps and boulders with Borgford Grapple (w/BH on) on steep grades and it was non too stable. I was quite carefull.

Therfore load it is!

Thanks for advice all.

Regards

Mike

/ Anyone Load rear tires of their L-39? #8  
Mike 69440 . . . just curious about the Borgford grapple. I just ordered one for my L5030 . . . do you like it? any issues or problems?

I dealt with Dale Borgford and he really seems like a straight shooter . . . good guy.

/ Anyone Load rear tires of their L-39? #9  
Where's Breezy Ridge?

/ Anyone Load rear tires of their L-39?
thunderworks said:
Mike 69440 . . . just curious about the Borgford grapple. I just ordered one for my L5030 . . . do you like it? any issues or problems?

I dealt with Dale Borgford and he really seems like a straight shooter . . . good guy.

Yes he is.

Borgford is High Dollar unit. I've come accross some other grapples for full size TLB's that cost only a little more, but at 1200 to 1400 LBS are too much for the L-39.

There is a upside and dowside to the Borgford's 42" jaw opening vs. a larger opening.
The Borgford is right size, as if I had the Anbo, I would be trying to pick up stuff I should not try to lift or move with the L-39.

For brush and logs the Anbo might be better. For boulders, ground tearing and stumps, the Borford is nice.

There are all sorts of designs for grapples. Best one is dependent on what is your primary end use.

The Borgford could use high alloy steel upper tines, see links:

Alloy & Abrasion Resistant Steel Plate - Chapel Steel
Welcome to Astralloy, Astralloy Wear Technology: steel, abrasion resistant, impact resistance, steel plate, steel service center, manganese, alloy steel, ballistic, mining, mining equipment, quarry, screens, truck bed liners, crusher, crusher parts, corrosion, cutting edge

I bent mine and broke welds getting rocks caught the wrong way when clamping down. Rewelded and used a 10 foot Sch 160 2-1/2 pipe to bend teeth back straight. No big deal.
Tips of teeth have wear. and eventually I will have them weld overlayed with T.C. or Stellite rod.

Weartech International Home Page

Castolin Eutectic Group

Colmonoy Nickel Alloys and Cobalt Alloys for Hard Surfacing, Coating

Deloro Stellite Company

Welcome to Cronatron Welding

I have About 280 hours on my L-39. I use it hard. It's be back for service and repairs. Size is just right, machine could be heavier/ more HP.