Ken

/ Ken #1  

Ken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520,
I have a L3600GST with V1903-A engine and have started getting excessive blo-by.
At 1300 hours changed oil and filter Use Rotella and Wix filters there
was a little blo-by then oil change at 1350 hours noticed the blo-by was increasing to where drips of oil would be on the ground at this time change the fuel filter also because the engine was getting hard to start also changed the glo-plug controller no difference in starting and at 1370 hours the blo-by had gotten to where a continous spray was coming out of pipe.The tractor was unused for several days waiting for steering hydrolic hoses and rebuild kit for the steering cylinder Now at 1420 hours it requires several attempts to start engine even with elec heater and battery charger 60 deg. day almost will not start. By this description any suggestions. this afternoon will take off the front end loader and frame brackets to get to timing of cylinders on flywheel then cannot fined a compression cyl. checker in area will take off the valve cover. check for valves or bent push rods.
This tractor has been worked but maintained with oil changes and filter changes.and when started sound goods with little exhaust smoke under load just blo-by. each injector causes change when fuel pipe is loosened no air bubbles.
will check this evening to see if there is any suggestions,
Thanks ken

/ Ken #2  
As a Kubota tecnician, I suggest starting with compression test. You could have inavertently sanded engine, or if hard to start, used starting fluid. If I can help , send me private message. Just FYI, If every time we sold a tractor, igave them a can of starting fluid(ether) I would retire early.

/ Ken
Thanks as far as I know never any starting fluid also the air filter checked regularly Took the valve cover off and checked the valve clearance it is +.028 that is all the thickness of my guage. Suposed to be .007 to .0087 so took the valve rocker arm off and checked the push rods all clean straight and seated properly the face of rocker is clean no gouges cover looks good no sludge.
Now the valve seal if bad would cause burning of oil not blo-by am I correct with this idea?
So think that all of the cranking has caused the fuel to go past the rings this could cause blo-by would you suggest re-ringing and bearings or adjust valve and change oil and see if the correct adjustment would over come this condition.
thanks for the reply ken

/ Ken #4  
Yup, I'd adjust valves and change the oil and see how she goes before spending money on bearings & rings.

/ Ken
The valve adjustment helped on starting and the engine has the crisp sound of a kubota again but the blow-by is still excessive a constant white flow with drops of black oil on the ground and when parked for several minutes there is a area about the size of a coffee can lid that is black on the ground.
Changed oil and filter at 1350 hours and about 1370 noticed this blow-by and now at 1420 continues to get worse.
Tomorrow will check compression with guage then will know where to look
Don't think I'm losing water stays same level as always.
thanks ken

/ Ken
Up date on my L3600 GST Engine
I had asked for information on possible problems of engine not starting had 2 answers thanks both. then close to 400 looking some of your experance would of helped.
Compression test gave me idea engine rings were bad guage pressure of 370 to 220 lbs and then removed head the first picture shows the replacement head and its valves were adjusted around .028 in .There were no head caps on valve stems. Also noted when loosing the head bolts some almost loose most correct tightness. Taking the pan off some bolts over tight some finger tight then removing piston and rods calling the piston closest to radiator as #1 the top ring had been cracked a long time with carbon incrusted over the ring surface. Same with # 2 abd #3 #4 there was no top ring? the slot full of carbon so never had a ring and all cyl. the carbon went to the 2 nd ring before a clean surface showing the rings were touching the cyl. walls.
Cleaning the rods saw # 3 &#4 caps interchanged from the weight # on rod and caps.
Now understand why when looking at tractor. The dealier made clear this one had been traded in for a larger tractor and with 200 hours had no reason to think there was any real damage. If ordered parts ever come in from Kubota will put together. been waiting 10 days so far.

Attachments

• IM000827.JPG
    IM000827.JPG
    995.5 KB · Views: 257
  • IM000831.JPG
    IM000831.JPG
    949 KB · Views: 241
  • IM000832.JPG
    IM000832.JPG
    999.2 KB · Views: 196