deeper than average snowfall

/ deeper than average snowfall #1  

Stargazer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota Bx-23
Hi I live in Des Moines IA with a bx-23 with a 5' rear blade/FEL for winter snows. Most of ours are in the 5-8 inch range which the blade handles and FEL does the snowplow "drifts". BUT on occasion we get hit with 12-14 and wind drifts twice that in spots. I know a 3pt blower would be the best but need some time for my ship to come in to buy. Thought about leaving FEL about 6" off concrete with blade down and making a furrow down drive and block long street(heavy snows takes city plows longer 2 get 2) and then about 1/2 bucket wide pushes till street done/can't push no more. How would the more north people go about this with the equip I have? Last house on dead end 400' street (drifts my end 75' long). Have rear wheel weight and 8 42# suitcases can tie/attach to bx fore and aft. This is likely only once a year or more likely every other year and job requires(law enfc) to get to work if at all possible. Have 2 4-wheels at home so once get to end of block shouls be a breeze(famous last words)

Thanx Pat R

/ deeper than average snowfall #2  
Sorry, I am no help at all. I bought a used Double augur 84 inch two stage 3ph snow blower.

I think using the FEL/Bucket would do the job, but take a while.
Bob

/ deeper than average snowfall #4  
If I am concerned about leaving on time I move my vehicle out closer to the main road before the storm socks me in. I also keep tire chains and a shovel in the trunk, incase they are needed.
It takes time to clear that much lane/road. If you have the time, do as Joe says and try to keep up with the storm.

/ deeper than average snowfall #5  
Stargazer said:
Hi I live in Des Moines IA with a bx-23 with a 5' rear blade/FEL for winter snows. Most of ours are in the 5-8 inch range which the blade handles and FEL does the snowplow "drifts". BUT on occasion we get hit with 12-14 and wind drifts twice that in spots.

When I get hit with storms like this I use the loader kind of like you describe. I start in the center and go at a diagonal towards one edge and just keep moving up the driveway like that. I don't bother with the rear blade until I get the bulk of the snow moved and then I use it for clean up. I have used this method through a half dozen or more 15"- 20" snowfalls. It takes a while this way for sure, though! I have the same job requirements as you, btw.

/ deeper than average snowfall #6  
A decent used rear-mount 3ph blower can often be had for $1000 or less. Check ebay for one within driving distance of you. Here's an example On ebay you need to look thru a lot of snowblowers to find the tractor-mounted ones - they are not all listed in one category.Here's another in a different category. Try the advanced search using the words snow blower tractor and check off to search titles and descriptions. A third example is this one These are made extremely well (very heavy gearbox and frame) and will last forever - even if the paint has gone away.

Last edited:
   / deeper than average snowfall
thanx to all the suggestions yes do have 4 tire chains/shovels etc that stay in veh year round and move 1 veh to end of drive but value my windows etc so keep it close to home if you catch my "drift". do watch e-bay but as somebody said "close enough to drive to" is bottom line. guess for this year will just grunt it out least with 3 state computers at home can still do everything critical except push a power button.

Thanx pat r

/ deeper than average snowfall #8  
I use the rear blade/loader setup with my BX on my 400 foot drive, without too many problems. When we get a foot or more with drifts, if I can't plow before it gets too deep, I have to use the loader more, that's all. I push down the middle with the loader down, untill I can't push any more, then move the pile to the side. I do that a few times untill I get to the end, without spending a lot of time making it pretty. Then a couple trips with the blade, and I'm done. I have fun doing it so it doesn't bother me. I have a walk behind snowblower I use on tight areas, walks and kennels. I wouldn't dream of using it on the drive now that I have my tractor. :D

/ deeper than average snowfall #9  
I agree with the suggestion to plow short distances at a diagonal to the driveway. It's a simple technique that allows you to accomplish the same thing but doesn't require a blower, just a little extra time. I've been surprised how well my BX handles heavy snow. It's true though, if you try to push a lot of snow in a straight line with the blade angled, the tractor will tend to slide sideways. Plowing with the storm is another obvious solution. Better bundle up though!

/ deeper than average snowfall #10  
I've been using my BX with FEL and BB for just this sort of task since 2001. My neighbors are always surprised by how much snow my little beast can move.

Yesterday it was what remained after 3' of snow and 30 mph winds. Drifts were up to 6' tall and 40' long. My drive is 100 yds long. First thing you need to do is set up a snow fence 40 feet windward of your drive. You'd be amazed how much that helps. As for the moving of the snow, it's easy. Push with the FEL. I rarely use it to lift and move snow. Very inefficient that way. I pick a spot and push until I start to stall, then back out to where I started and push right next to the first. I work three bucket widths at a time cleaning up as I go. Once I get a nice pile working I keep the bucket just off the ground and turn the wheels sharply once I hit the pile. This way I cut part of it to the side of my route. Once I have enough room I start the diagonal push others have mentioned.

I did my parking area and drive in about 30 minutes with this technique last night (snow fence helped a lot). I did my neighbor's drive (150') this morning in about 45 minutes. The snow wasn't drifted on his and averaged just over 2'.

The trick is in how you use the FEL. It takes time getting used to it, but once you do it's easy.