D'oh- unintended 125 hour maintenance

/ D'oh- unintended 125 hour maintenance #1  

pjwbx2230

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota bx2230
Posted about flat tire. Eventually took wheel off and placed jack stand under axle. Took tire to nearby tire service shop- valve core replaced (no cost- nice guys). Put chain back on tire. Put wheel back on tractor. Forgot that I had pushed jack stand out of way under the tractor. Pleased at getting things done, fired the bota up to take it to the shed.
My five-year-old son, who had been helping (visiting) was sitting on the tractor seat when I dropped the tractor off of the jack. Immediately, a sea of liquid came streaming out from under the tractor. Son's eyes got quite wide as my language reached a tenor that would have made a sailor blush. When they were as big as saucers, he uttered, "I'm cold- I think I need to go in now". Needless to say, I dropped the bota on the jack stand, punctured,and bent the transmisson filter, and all the Super UDT ended up on the garage floor.
Went to the bota dealership and bought new filter and new liquid gold. Tractor is fine, but, boy, do I feel stupid. Well, at least, the son learned a few new words (actually, I hope not), and I got a new hat for myself when I went to the dealership- son promptly tried to steal it so I got him one just like it today (stocking stuffer).

/ D'oh- unintended 125 hour maintenance #2  
He’s 5 he won’t forget them. He will save them for a priceless opportunity to use them when you least expect it.

/ D'oh- unintended 125 hour maintenance #3  
my dealer told me about not putting jackstand under transaxel when i went in for some other parts. seems he did it and over weekend stand poked hole in case (not mine luckely) and i passed on to him about brodek skid plate that i already put on to keep filters and fan intact.

tommu56

/ D'oh- unintended 125 hour maintenance #4  
Some people just like lots of excitement. It never occured to me to drain the transmission that way. :rolleyes:

I hate it when I make mistakes. The alternative, though, is to never take risks or try anything new. That just aint us, Tractor Brother.

Stackwood

/ D'oh- unintended 125 hour maintenance
tommu56 said:
my dealer told me about not putting jackstand under transaxel when i went in for some other parts. seems he did it and over weekend stand poked hole in case (not mine luckely) and i passed on to him about brodek skid plate that i already put on to keep filters and fan intact.

tommu56
Actually e-mailed Richard about skid plates last week before the fiasco. this ordeal is the clincher- am preparing to order both front and rear skid plates. Also, given my accident proneness, ordered a grill guard. The bota will be armored and ready for Armageddon.
Kid has been restrained with his language so far.