Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota

/ Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota
Well so much for that. I ran the motor...(it sounded nice) for about 12 minutes and the temp started to rise. I waited until some hot antifreeze started coming in the radiator. I started feeling around and notice the radiator wasn't hot, then the return wasn't hot.... WTH??? Pulled the bottom hose and ice cold water. I would think it would have circulated faster. The temp gauge was over the half way mark at this point.

So I decided to pull the water pump...First the alternator, then I decided to pull the radiator to make it easier.. The 2 bottom bolts have this nifty pin just in the case the bolt works loose. There is a rubber bushing at the bottom. The top is held on by the upper hose only. In the mean time the radiator looked decent.

Attachments

• 3001-thermo (2).JPG
    3001-thermo (2).JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 914
  • 3001-thermo (3).JPG
    3001-thermo (3).JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 776
  • 3001-thermo (4).JPG
    3001-thermo (4).JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 780
Next it was a matter of pulling stuff. For this I broke out the air ratchet.

Attachments

• 3001-thermo (5).JPG
    3001-thermo (5).JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 779
  • 3001-thermo (6).JPG
    3001-thermo (6).JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 744
   / Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota #33  
A little off topic... I was at my local Kubota Dealer and notice what looked to be new BX 24 torn down with the head off. I asked the mechanic if I could take a look, never having seen one torn down.

The mechanic told me they had sold the BX 2 months ago and the owner let his brother-in-law use it last week to spread gravel and sometime over the weekend the fuel tank was filled with gasoline!

The owner is looking at a very expensive repair bill on his "New" BX

And then the water pump. Whoever designed this over there should be caned!! The $135 extra long water pump. Designed this way to allow the bottom hose at the very bottom I guess. Well the bronze looking impeller looked ok. After not much going on here I used my favorite (no gasket on hand) GE high temp silicon sealer. Then back on. No I don't wait for it to dry...this stuff has never failed me.

Attachments

• 3001-thermo (7).JPG
    3001-thermo (7).JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 824
  • 3001-thermo (8).JPG
    3001-thermo (8).JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 676
  • 3001-thermo (9).JPG
    3001-thermo (9).JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 629
  • 3001-thermo (10).JPG
    3001-thermo (10).JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 570
  • 3001-thermo (11).JPG
    3001-thermo (11).JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 619
  • 3001-thermo (12).JPG
    3001-thermo (12).JPG
    136 KB · Views: 801
So now I'm back to square 1 I guess. The rataitor looks fine...some shots of the inside. Also a look out from the garage. Good tractor working on weather!!!

Attachments

• 3001-thermo (13).JPG
    3001-thermo (13).JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 629
  • 3001-thermo (14).JPG
    3001-thermo (14).JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 527
  • 3001-thermo (15).JPG
    3001-thermo (15).JPG
    155 KB · Views: 542
  • 3001-thermo (16).JPG
    3001-thermo (16).JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 570
So I took out the thermostat. All the other times I looked at this thing it was already hot and up to temp. First I noticed that the water was moving through the radiator reall nice and fast. Also the complete front of the radaitor was warm...so water was circulating throughout the complete thing. You can see the water moving in some pics...

Attachments

• 3001-thermo (17).JPG
    3001-thermo (17).JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 733
  • 3001-thermo (18).JPG
    3001-thermo (18).JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 679
So after running for a bit the temp gauge barely moved. I couldn't really test because of the weather. I ran it without the thermo in the summer and it didn't help. But I also had the known leaking valve or 2 at the time. I also brought home the thermo to test it some more. It seems it is opening but just barely. I think the system should circulate the heated water much faster.

So we'll see what happens at a later date. I hope yall enjoy the pics and stuff.

I also hope everyone has a fun and safe new year. We are just taking it easy tonight. Welcome to 2007!!!!

/ Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota #38  
RobJ said:
Well so much for that. I ran the motor...(it sounded nice) for about 12 minutes and the temp started to rise. I waited until some hot antifreeze started coming in the radiator. I started feeling around and notice the radiator wasn't hot, then the return wasn't hot.... WTH??? Pulled the bottom hose and ice cold water. I would think it would have circulated faster. The temp gauge was over the half way mark at this point.

So I decided to pull the water pump...First the alternator, then I decided to pull the radiator to make it easier.. The 2 bottom bolts have this nifty pin just in the case the bolt works loose. There is a rubber bushing at the bottom. The top is held on by the upper hose only. In the mean time the radiator looked decent.
In the 2nd pic, there is a shaft sticking out of your crankshaft pulley. Is this Kubota's version of a front PTO? Do you use it for anything? Good job on your rebuild.

/ Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota #39  
RobJ said:
Interesting little o-ring on the head. OK but it's there and new!!

Also these caps on the valve stems...
If I remember correctly, that's all they use (the o-rings) on Detroit Desiels.

BTDT said:
In the 2nd pic, there is a shaft sticking out of your crankshaft pulley. Is this Kubota's version of a front PTO? Do you use it for anything? Good job on your rebuild.

I guess so, really have no idea. It's there. My guesses could be for a MMM, power steering (my gear 2wd does not have PS), extra hydraulic pump? I don't recall anything in the owners manual at the moment.

The little o-ring covers something they call a pipe pin. Maybe something more that just a dowel. There is only 1 so nothing locks the head in 1 position...IE like 2 dowels would.

Rob