Tires ATV tires on a BX?

/ ATV tires on a BX? #1  

Spudgunner

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-23 & Toolcat 5600 D
Hello,
Today while I was adjusting the tire chains on the rear of my BX-23, I noticed a 4" split in the tread that ran across the face of the tire. Fortunately, it didn't impinge on the sidewall. Nevertheless, it looks like I have a tire failure pending and I decided to go ahead and obtain a couple of new rears tires. The size is presently 26x12-12 (4-ply rating) and I notice that there are a number of ATV tires available in this size and, in some cases, with an even greater ply rating. The selection of tread patterns is pretty impressive in "ATV tire world" and I was wondering if anybody had used ATV tires on their BX.

Actually, any suggestions for tire replacement would be welcome as I'm not familiar with what works best on a BX. My stock Ag tires, other than the split, have provided good service and I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to simply replacing them with the same thing. It's just the wider selection of ATV tires (and ply ratings) is kinda cool.

Thanks!

/ ATV tires on a BX? #2  
Some ATV tires are very aggressive, so they might not work well on the lawn. If you only use the tractor for digging and dirt moving, then they will work fine. Just make sure that the replacement is rated at equal or higher than the original tire.

/ ATV tires on a BX? #3  
The atv tires dont call for the pressures in them as a tractor.I dont know if there is a safety reason ,or its just for the ride.Atv tires are pricy too,have you compared? My wifes polaris 500ho takes the same tire as my bx...darn,why did i plug my tractor tire:D :D :D Atv tires are available in many styles and treads for different terrains.We even stud them up here for ice fishing.Darn good question,even though my babbling didnt answer it:D
ALAN

/ ATV tires on a BX? #4  
I am in the same boat I had a big cut in one and used the biggest patch from TSC in side and started looking just in case.
The place I got my truck tire at said don't look at ply rating look at load rating
They showed me an ag tire Not bx size that had a higher load rating for the 2 ply than for a different 4 ply one?

tommu56

/ ATV tires on a BX? #6  
Depending on what you do with the BX, I'd be looking into weather the rolling circumference of an ATV tire would work "with" or against the lead that the fronts have over the rears in 4WD.

/ ATV tires on a BX?
I went ahead and purchased a set of Carlisle's online. I could not find front tires of the same size as stock (18x8.5x8/4ply/Ag) except through Kubota. There were plenty of turf tires in this size. Carlisle makes an 18x9.5x8/4ply/Ag and that's what I ordered. There are a variety of ply ratings for the rear tires...the stock are 4 and I went with 6.

The ATV tire angle is interesting and I would have pursued that further had I the time; however, I'm using my BX commercially (snow removal) and the split in the tire that I mentioned earlier has me concerned as I cannot afford the downtime at present. Easiest/safest route was just to go ahead and order the Carlisle tires. Thanks for the input, folks!

/ ATV tires on a BX? #8  
Spudgunner said:
I went ahead and purchased a set of Carlisle's online. I could not find front tires of the same size as stock (18x8.5x8/4ply/Ag) except through Kubota. There were plenty of turf tires in this size. Carlisle makes an 18x9.5x8/4ply/Ag and that's what I ordered. There are a variety of ply ratings for the rear tires...the stock are 4 and I went with 6.

The ATV tire angle is interesting and I would have pursued that further had I the time; however, I'm using my BX commercially (snow removal) and the split in the tire that I mentioned earlier has me concerned as I cannot afford the downtime at present. Easiest/safest route was just to go ahead and order the Carlisle tires. Thanks for the input, folks!
May i ask what the price difference is betwen the KuBOTA tire and the CARLISLES? I would be willing to bet as an avid atver,that the carlisles are more puncture resistant.Be sure to keep us all posted on this please,i MYSELF MAY DECIDE TO GO THIS ROOT.If the wife buys replacements for her POLARIS ,mabey i can use the old ones on my tractor.
ALAN

/ ATV tires on a BX?
escavader said:
May i ask what the price difference is betwen the KuBOTA tire and the CARLISLES? I would be willing to bet as an avid atver,that the carlisles are more puncture resistant.Be sure to keep us all posted on this please,i MYSELF MAY DECIDE TO GO THIS ROOT.If the wife buys replacements for her POLARIS ,mabey i can use the old ones on my tractor.
ALAN

Prices without shipping:
26x12-12 (4 ply Kubota): $158.83 (K2561-17150)...however, if you order the tire/wheel/stem assembly, the price would appear to be less. (?)

12x12-12 (6 ply Carlisle Tru-Power Lugs): $87.50

The Kubota part is from Tractorsmart while the Carlisle is from Michener's Grass Roots. Shipping to Idaho was also cheaper via Michener's. IIRC, the Carlisle tire comes in a variety of tread styles and 4,6, and 10 ply. The Ag-type tires I ordered appear to have a slightly closer bar spacing...but it's hard to tell on web images.

I had never ordered anything from Michener's before but they were very helpful. Seemed like sort of a family-run or Mom & Pop kinda place....a plus in my book.

/ ATV tires on a BX? #10  
Spudgunner said:
Prices without shipping:
26x12-12 (4 ply Kubota): $158.83 (K2561-17150)...however, if you order the tire/wheel/stem assembly, the price would appear to be less. (?)

12x12-12 (6 ply Carlisle Tru-Power Lugs): $87.50

The Kubota part is from Tractorsmart while the Carlisle is from Michener's Grass Roots. Shipping to Idaho was also cheaper via Michener's. IIRC, the Carlisle tire comes in a variety of tread styles and 4,6, and 10 ply. The Ag-type tires I ordered appear to have a slightly closer bar spacing...but it's hard to tell on web images.

I had never ordered anything from Michener's before but they were very helpful. Seemed like sort of a family-run or Mom & Pop kinda place....a plus in my book.
THANKS,
Certainly is a savings and probably a tougher tire.I cant understand why some tires such as trailer,are cheaper to buy all mounted on a rim.That nevermade sense,but is the way it is.
ALAN