Front Loader Technique --problems?

/ Front Loader Technique --problems? #1  

Hotwheels

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, RTV900-Worksite
Hello,

After my first ten hours with the BX24 business travel kept me off the tractor, but I do have 38 hours on her. I finally learned how to use the backhoe, but not before my wife accused me of using the tractor as a motorized bucking bronc and bought me a cowboy hat to wear each time I boarded the machine. She also bought me the Brotek thumb and skidplate for Christmas and the thumb comes in handy.

I have been using the front loader bucket in a way that I am not sure is ok -- or at least I am not sure that it may not be stressing the hydraulics too much. Here is the situation --- I am cutting into a bank by raising the bucket, tilting it so the blade points down, then I lower the blade into the bank I am cutting. I then put the tractor into reverse and pull some of the dirt away from the bank. Sometimes leg front legs of the tractor lift off the ground when I apply the downward pressure with the blade and sometimes not.

Is using the front loader bucket this way stressing the hydraulics or should I not worry?
Thanks,
JR

/ Front Loader Technique --problems? #2  
Your not going to hurt the loader or tractor by cutting material off the bank that way. I don't really think it is the most effective way though, because you have to break the material loose using the method you discribed and then go back into that material to load your bucket. If the bank is too high to cut from the bottom just raise your bucket up high enough so that when you go into it your not trying to break out as much. Most important thing about using any loader is to go into the material square so as not to put undue stress on just one side of the loader.

/ Front Loader Technique --problems? #3  
One other thing. I think I would be more concerened about looking like a cowboy at a rodeo on the hoe. Try throttling it down a little and see if it doesn't get smoother for you.

/ Front Loader Technique --problems?
It was entertainment for my wife! I kinda like the hat now. It was a combination of technique and rpms, but things are "under control" now. Maybe it was the cowboy hat that made the difference....

One thing I learned is that you do not have to do anything fast on a tractor -- slow works just fine and still gets things done!

/ Front Loader Technique --problems? #5  
I am cutting into a bank by raising the bucket, tilting it so the blade points down, then I lower the blade into the bank I am cutting. I then put the tractor into reverse and pull some of the dirt away from the bank. Sometimes leg front legs of the tractor lift off the ground when I apply the downward pressure with the blade and sometimes not.

I have used that technique quite often with my BX2200's loader and have not had any problems... there are many times that you have to use that technique to break down a large pile of material.

/ Front Loader Technique --problems? #6  
rosey said:
I am cutting into a bank by raising the bucket, tilting it so the blade points down, then I lower the blade into the bank I am cutting. I then put the tractor into reverse and pull some of the dirt away from the bank. Sometimes leg front legs of the tractor lift off the ground when I apply the downward pressure with the blade and sometimes not.

I have used that technique quite often with my BX2200's loader and have not had any problems... there are many times that you have to use that technique to break down a large pile of material.

I have to do the same thing when I attack a dirt pile thats been sitting a LONG time and while not as solid as concrete...its still good and "solid". The loaders ( and it varys with size and brand even) only have just "so much" lift and roll back force.

/ Front Loader Technique --problems? #7  
You should be ok , I usually do the same thing on pile of gravel that has been sitting to pull it down before i scoop up.
I'd be carefull in other situations such as back dragging, pistons are fully extended and more vunerable to bending. I've read a post where person had bucket pointing down with pistons fully out and backing up, hit stump and ben rod. Speed would affect this too if backing fast. I think there is warning in book on this. I know you are not doing this but just thought should mention.

/ Front Loader Technique --problems? #9  
Hotwheels:

I been using my loader the same way for quite a few years. Has not seemed to hurt it.

/ Front Loader Technique --problems? #10  
Just keep pressure on the bank and lower bucket at what you consider a safe speed until the bucket hits the low point,for there a least chance if a stone should loosen than roll in to your BX...OUCH