Chains BX 24 Tire Chains

/ BX 24 Tire Chains #1  

DickS

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 265, Kubota BX24
Last week I installed rear tire chains for the BX 24 . I opted for the 2-link ladder as opposed to the V-bar because the tractor is stored on a concrete floor and was afraid the V-bar would chew it up. This winter in the U.P. has been rather icey and my appetite for sliding down the parking area hill was very low.

After reviewing the installation instructions, I neatly layed the chains on the floor and placed the tractor on top of them. It soon became obvious that trying to install the chains while the wheels were still on the tractor was a waste of time and an exercise in frustration. So, I jacked up the rear and removed the first wheel. I soon discovered, to my amazement, that the cross chains fit exactly in between the lugs of the industrial tires I have on the tractor. Who could believe that ? Eventually I found the secret to a simple and trouble free installation;

1. Jack up rear of tractor and remove wheel.
2. Lay wheel on floor with air valve down.
3. Place the chain around the tire with the 'hook' side of the chain on top.
4. Initially hook to the end link and drape the cross chains down the tread of the tire.
5. Crimp the cross link connector with a pliars on the other end so the hook will engage the link when the connection is made.
6. Insert the cross chains between the tread lugs on the edge of the tire while taking up a link at a time with the hook.
7. After the cross chains have been spaced between the lugs and the cross link connector has been reached with the hook, turn the wheel over.
8. Repeat items 4-6, but this time using the latch instead of the hook.
9. DO NOT follow the picture instructions received with the chains when securing the latch. The connecting latch must be inserted through the connecting link and rotated back 180* and connected to a link on the side of the tire. It may be necessary to use a screw driver or something to pry the chain away from the side of the tire so the latch link can be properly connected.
10. Cut off excess chain links.

I would post a picture here but the Mrs. is off with the digital camera.

The extra traction with the chains proved to be a great benefit on wet snow and ice.

/ BX 24 Tire Chains #2  
In my 5 years with my BX22, I have never need chains on my AG tires. I go up and down hills without any problems. My tires are loaded with Rim Guard, plus I have a 700 pound weight hanging off the rear 3 point hitch. If I need more than that, I will just wait till it melts.

/ BX 24 Tire Chains #3  
Dusty said:
In my 5 years with my BX22, I have never need chains on my AG tires. I go up and down hills without any problems. My tires are loaded with Rim Guard, plus I have a 700 pound weight hanging off the rear 3 point hitch. If I need more than that, I will just wait till it melts.
Ag tires .
No chains no extra weight bx23 plenty of traction.

/ BX 24 Tire Chains #4  
I plow snow with my BX23 and have no traction problem, but DickS is talking about ice. I would think that would be a bit more slippery and chains would be the way to go.

/ BX 24 Tire Chains
Thanks Ken,

That was the point I was trying to make. Snow is no real issue. Ice adds another dimension. That's the reason you usually see logging equipment with chains in the winter. If ice is not an issue, forget about chains. I posted my remarks to assist those having a need for, and facilitating the installation of, chains. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear presenting the material.

/ BX 24 Tire Chains #6  
Ice????? What's that????? Here it is the first of January 2007, and we have yet to have any snow, and it is about 45 degrees today. Seems that this is the year that global warming has come to New England.

/ BX 24 Tire Chains #7  
I have installed chains on many different vehicles including, at least, 2 tractors. I have never in my life removed a wheel to do it thought. :)

/ BX 24 Tire Chains #8  
Prior to this year, I had never needed chains on my BX-23. It has been a whole 'nuther story this year, though, with LOTS of ice at my location.

/ BX 24 Tire Chains #9  
Spudgunner said:
Prior to this year, I had never needed chains on my BX-23. It has been a whole 'nuther story this year, though, with LOTS of ice at my location.
I have never needed them on my BX23 either.
We havent had any snow or ice in the 28 monthes i've owned it -Sure beats a set of chains seven ways from Sunday.
May not last as long as chains though.

Did you put chains on the front also?

/ BX 24 Tire Chains #10  
Ken_CT said:
I plow snow with my BX23 and have no traction problem, but Dick is talking about ice. I would think that would be a bit more slippery and chains would be the way to go.
I'd just use my 1966 Bolens and front blade with chains and rear weight for that.