Backhoe BX-23 Backhoe Cart

/ BX-23 Backhoe Cart #1  

willjack

Tractor
BX-23
I built this backhoe cart so I could squeeze more space out of my cramped garage. I can now remove the backhoe and roll it into a corner out of the way. I have never welded anything this heavy duty and think I may have used way too much steel but I figured better to be safe than sorry. The top is covered with steel plating and each caster can carry 1000 lbs. I don't know how much it weighs but I used the backhoe to lift it out of my basement so I wouldn't hurt my back! I did not realize when I designed the cart that I would have to remove the backhoe from an elevated position. I had only removed the backhoe twice before and didn't realize that it was designed to swing away and down so much. Also, I tried to raise the backhoe without the ramps under the stabilizers and the stabilizer arms caught the sides of the cart and tried to pull it off the cart. The system I worked out seems fairly safe and the backhoe seems very stable on the cart so I am pretty happy with the project.

Attachments

• Backhoe_cart_1.jpg
    Backhoe_cart_1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 994
  • Backhoe_cart_2.jpg
    Backhoe_cart_2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 930
  • Backhoe_cart_3.jpg
    Backhoe_cart_3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,130
  • Backhoe_cart_4.jpg
    Backhoe_cart_4.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 783
   / BX-23 Backhoe Cart #2  
VERY cool, I'm thinking of doing the same for my BH90. Did you build it to be the same height as the bottom of the BH when it's installed, or? I'm guessing that's where the interference is when removing it.
Jim

/ BX-23 Backhoe Cart #3  
Minor little things that may improve it slightly.

You could add some verticle plates to keep the hoe from sliding off the cart. That may be handy when jockying it on and off the cart to keep the cart from moving indepenantly of the hoe.

You really should also chain the stabilizers and boom in the up position. They will sag with time and could drop and break something (car, child, cat, etc), especially if "little hands" move the controls.

You did nice work, thanks for sharing!
jb

/ BX-23 Backhoe Cart #5  
Morning willjack.
That's a pretty niffty idea you came up with...hope you post the pics in the Photo Folders under attachment of some sort.

/ BX-23 Backhoe Cart #6  
I liked your MMM cart and I also like your BH cart. Looks like you've had some good projects going on this winter :D
I did something similar a couple winters ago but I used wood. So far it's held up pretty well.

Your cart looks good an well made.
Mind if I offer a suggestion?
I don't need to use anything to place under the stabilizers to raise the BH as my el cheapo BH dollie isn't as wide as yours. Course my dollie isn't as stout as your's and that may be the key.
If you're inclined, you should think about shortening those two wings that are interfering with your stabilizers enough to where they don't make contact.
That way you won't need those ramps. I doubt it'll weaken your HD cart :D
Anyways, it'll work out fine as it is.

Attachments

• BH Dolly1small.jpg
    BH Dolly1small.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 683
   / BX-23 Backhoe Cart #7  
Hi Willjack!

Looks very sturdy! Congratulations...nice job!

/ BX-23 Backhoe Cart
I built the cart to just fit under the backhoe. I wanted to use the largest and strongest casters I could find thinking it would be sturdy and roll easily. It would have to have been much lower to the ground for the backhoe to be removed without elevating the back end of the tractor. The BX-23 has C-shaped clamps at the top that need to swing away from the tractor by pivoting on a pipe at the bottom. If the C-clamps don't pivot far enough, they hit the fenders.....scrape, scrape!

I like the idea of adding a vertical plate to keep the bucket from sliding off the end. I was a little nervous when I placed the bucket near the end of the cart and then had to lift the rear off the tractor off the ground. The backhoe really doesn't move on the cart, even when moving the levers. Gravity, not hydraulic pressure is holding it in place. I could have put the boom lock pin in place but then the bucket was about 1" above the cart. I chose to lower the bucket to spread out the weight on the cart more evenly. The boom/dipper actually wiggle at the connection point to the main frame because they are both resting separatly.

I did tie the stabilizers up since since I had seen others had done it. I had planned on making a stabilizer holding arm but ran out of time. I was going to hook into the openings on the stabilizer square tubing and then connect the two with some angle iron. The problem is that the controls are in the way and if I haven't figured out how to join the two sides nicely. This nifty tool would be used for garage storage even when the backhoe is installed on the tractor. Has anyone built one of these devices yet?

I like all of the ideas everyone has given me. I think the next time I am going to build something, I will post my sketches on the forum and get feedback BEFORE I do all that welding!