Kubota Orange Paint Match

/ Kubota Orange Paint Match #1  

rbargeron

Elite Member
Tractor
L5450, L48, L3250, L345
I've seen several posts saying DupliColor Chevy engine orange is a good match - but I want to paint my 3ph seven-foot snowblower. That would take a lot of spray cans so I went to the local Sherwin Williams store to see what they could do. I brought a sample orange part. The computer didn't come very close but an experienced guy on duty found a standard color sample that was close. He mixed a gallon of that - and added some red to it. Presto - a perfect match. It was so good he put a few drops on the sample I'd brought and they were basically invisible. A gallon of high solids industrial enamel was $39. If I'm not mistaken that's about half of what factory paint sells for. If you are looking for perfect match new orange, tell your Sherwin Williams people the store in Greenfield, MA (413-774-4632) has a recipe for "New Kubota Orange".

Last edited:
   / Kubota Orange Paint Match #2  
Thanks rbargeron,
I've been using the Duplicolor spray paint as a touch-up paint. It is a good match, but it really only covers up scratches and wear. It isn't a long wearing paint, only makes things look pretty for a while. There is a Sherwin-Williams nearby, where I buy paint, so I'll see if they will call and at least I'll get the paint mix number. In case they can't, did they put a sticker on the can? If so could you post that info, along with the base paint? Thanks again.

Ken

/ Kubota Orange Paint Match #3  
Dick we have Robbins auto Parts on south Wilow Street in Manchester that has a paint shop that will match any color. I think the smallest amount you can get is one quart, then you will need to get hardener (only comes in gallon size cans) and they also sell this CO2 paint sprayer kit that really works nicely. Better than the cans on the shelf stuff.

Robbins Auto Parts, Inc.

Wayne

/ Kubota Orange Paint Match
Ken_CT said:
did they put a sticker on the can? If so could you post that info, along with the base paint?
Ken

The sticker says:

6401-18709 Gallon B54TZ404

IN EN HS ULTRADP

Color: Custom Spec NEW KUBODA ORANGE

BAC Blend-a-Color OZ 32 64 128
Y3 Deep Gold - 10 - -

Manual Formula

I don't know how to decypher the recipe - but your S-W dealer should. On the slip the numbers and dashes are in columns under the BAC line above.

Dick B

/ Kubota Orange Paint Match #5  
Thanks rbargeron, that should do it.
Ken

Well there seems to be a problem with the miracle. For some reason this Sherwin Williams paint goes on with very little pigmentation - it doesn't cover very well. At first we thought the primer wasn't dry enough because to get a good color it had to go on pretty thick - it was too thick and it began to run. After sitting in a warm shop for a couple weeks, the painter tried again - but he thinks the paint itself is defective somehow - Sherwin Williams rep is due today.
This may expalin why it seemed such a good match - it was basically see-thru. Stay tuned.

Problem Solved After some false starts, my 7' snowblower is now Kubota Orange. The job didn't go very well - the painters thought the paint was bad. Sherwin Williams got involved and became convinced the spraying equipment was the problem. Anyway, using a new sprayer the job is finally done and the color match is good. Unfortunately there is a ton of paint on it now so it will be next year sometime before it's really hard. Luckily I haven't needed the big machine so far this winter. Maybe the almost snowless winter in MA will continue.

When it's all back together I'll post some pictures - besides the paint job I want to show off my other snowblower mods, the hydraulic drag blade and chute turner.

/ Kubota Orange Paint Match #9  
Let's try that again...

Hello,

I have not tried the paint myself but did see that you could get "tractor color" paint based on the tractor brand. Maybe it's good maybe it isn't but thought I would let everyone know about it.

I found the paint in a Agri Supply catalog. Their web site is
www.Agri-Supply.com if anyone is interested in checking out the paint they offer. It is sold by the Gallon, Quart, and Spray can.

Anyway, I wish I could give a first hand account but I can't.

Seems the original reason for this post is resolved, but if anyone else finds themselves out here at the end of this post (like I did) maybe this can help them.

Steve

Steve,

You are right about the Agri-Supply paint. Anyway, the job I was doing with Sherwin-Williams paint is done now - I posted several pictures over in "attachments" showing the blower with its modifications - and new paint.

As for the Agri-Supply here is a very good post with pictures here that I didn't find earlier. If I had known about it I could have saved time and money as it turned out.
Take care, Dick B