M5040.....something is very wrong....

/ M5040.....something is very wrong.... #1  

leeinmemphis

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 5040 with FEL
I have had my 5040 since April of last year. In November I brought it back for the 50 hr service and had the dealer install the quick connect couplers/lines/diverter valve assembly for my grapple bucket. up until now I have run them off my rear remotes. Well yesterday was the first time I had used it and noticed that all the fel controls were VERY slow and it acted as if the fel had no lifting force and the grapple didn't have any grabbing force. After a few minutes I decided it was time to load it back up and take it back to the dealer. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? It almost acts like the hydraulics on the fel are fighting themselves. I have to rev it up very high just to make it do some simple functions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

/ M5040.....something is very wrong.... #2  
Do the loader functions (lift/lower and curl/dump) work correctly when the grapple is not connected to the diverter?

Does it fail only when the grapple is connected to the diverter?

A little simple troubleshooting will go a long way to determining the problem.

In most cases you will have a hose or connector issue. Or the 12v diverter may not be working correctly. Or the dealer could have just plumbed it incorrectly. Since the dealer did the work let him fix it on his time.

/ M5040.....something is very wrong....
I did disconnect all of the aux. hydraulics and put the long hoses on it to run the grapple off the rear hydraulics and it worked fine. However the front even with the bucket disconnected the fel still acts like the hydraulics are not done correctly. I think that something is either plumbed wrong or maybe it is a diverter problem because it worked great prior to them installing it.

/ M5040.....something is very wrong.... #4  
The diverter is connected to, and controls only one function of the loader valve. It is either connected to the lift/lower spool work ports or the curl/dump spool work ports. If both the lift/lower and curl/dump loader functions are not working then the problem is in the loader valve or it's associated inlet and outlet plumbing. Check the connections and hoses going into the loader valve (pressure inlet, power beyond outlet and return to tank).

You could also remove the diverter completely from the spool work port circuit and connect the work port hoses directly to the loader cylinders as it was originally. This will tell you if the diverter is defective.

Troubleshooting this type of problem is easy as all you want to do is eliminate everything except the possible problem area.

The dealer just called and said it looks like I am going to need a pump. Thank goodness it'll be under warranty.

/ M5040.....something is very wrong.... #6  
The question is why does it need a new pump? Was it defective from the factory or did a plumbing issue kill it?

/ M5040.....something is very wrong.... #7  
Smells fishy to me. If the pump was not working then nothing would work. However this dealer may have just plumbed something incorrectly and dead headed the pump while trouble shooting.

The original problem is either in the diverter or the plumbing. I would have some concern that this dealer is slightly hydraulically challenged.

Hey, as long as it's under warranty let the dealer spend Kubota's money and not yours.

MadReferee said:
Hey, as long as it's under warranty let the dealer spend Kubota's money and not yours.

This is what I am thinking. In the past they have treated me right and as long as the make my tractor ok under warranty then I am going to give them a little time to make it right. I felt like maybe there was more to the story when I talked to him but it sounds like it'll be covered by kubota. As long as everything works fine when I pick it up next week then that's my main concern anyway.

/ M5040.....something is very wrong.... #9  
I don't know. It does smell a little fishy to me too. There is no reason that the pump should fail on a new M5040 especially immediately after hydraulic work was done on the FEL hydraulics. Sounds like the dealer may have done something wrong. But if you get it fixed and it's like new and you don't have to pay extra for it, then it's probably not a big deal.

/ M5040.....something is very wrong.... #10  
I wonder if the pump is an excuse. Sounds like the dealer plumbed the new system wrong and is now looking to pawn off the problem onto the pump to make him look good to the customer. Also this way he gets paid for the pump labor to cover his time to redo the hydraulics. Just a thought.

Also, have the dealer replace the FEL curl/dump cylinders with the new updated Kubota ones while your tractor is there. (Read my post regarding important notice to all new M series tractors on this board.This is an IMPORTANT issue!)