B owners - check your rear wheels

/ B owners - check your rear wheels #1  

PaulB

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B1700 HST
Yesterday I was looking around at the rear end of my B1700 and I saw on both rear axles a ring of clean axle adjacent to each rear hub flange, whereas the rest of the axle was dirty with dust and dried mud. It appeared to me that the flanges were allowing about 1/4 inch of lateral play sliding in and out along the axle, the play limited only by the safety pin which holds the flange in place. I jacked up the rear end, and although I could not physically move the wheels in and out along the axle, the large cam bolts that hold the flange to the axle were both loose. I had tightened these with a lug wrench when I adjusted the rear wheel width, but had not thought it necessary to check their tightness again since then. I was wrong, and I suggest you B owners whose tractors allow adjustment of rear wheel spacing check your bolts soon. Takes a 22mm socket.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by PaulB on 6/30/00 12:48 PM.</FONT></P>

/ B owners - check your rear wheels #2  
Must not have used the air impact wrench when you put tightened them before./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Guess I don't have to worry about it since the B2710 isn't adjustable (but I did check all the lug nuts and bolts this past week)./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ B owners - check your rear wheels #3  
Had the same problem, thanks

/ B owners - check your rear wheels #4  
I continued to have the problem with the hubs getting loose. I removed them completely thinking that if I cleaned the threads than I might get them tighter. What I found was that the "cotters" were worn and binding on each other and/or the axle, (refer to parts diagram on the Kubota website Kubota Tractor Corporation - Parts List). I gently ground the sharp edges off the cotters and buffed the rest of the parts with a wire brush on a drill. I reassembled the hubs after reversing the cotters. They will go several ways but only two ways are correct. I bush hogged about four hours yesterday, mostly on slopes and so far they are still tight. I hope this helps someone with a common problem.

/ B owners - check your rear wheels #5  
My old B7100HST needed same attention...easy fix compare to headache and $$$'s.

/ B owners - check your rear wheels #6  
Thanks for the post. When I had my rear spacers added, I had the mechanic use Lock-tite.

Attachments

• Kubota B3030 & Ford EM.JPG
    Kubota B3030 & Ford EM.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 159
   / B owners - check your rear wheels #7  
Thanks for the post. When I had my rear spacers added, I had the mechanic use Lock-tite.

AStanton,

We've spoken before, and I've always enjoyed your posts.

(IIRC, you had a B3030HSDCC at one point, right?)

Anyway, I've got to ask you a favor.

Can you please take a look at this post of mine?
Will 1.5" Wheel Spacers Work with RCK60-30B 60" Belly Mower, on B3000?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/342135-will-1-5-wheel-spacers.html

And better yet, could you please comment IN my post?

I only ask because, after I posted on 7/29/15, it just dropped like a stone....

I "bumped" it, twice, since then, most recently on 8/20/15. I'd say I need help resuscitating it, but it's never even come to life--LOL.

And I KNOW I'm not the only one to have this question come up (i.e., POTENTIAL interference between the RCK60 mower deck and a B-series with wheel spacers)--yet I cannot find the threads I remember reading on this problem, years ago, despite using "Search" repeatedly.

Anyone else on this thread is also more than welcome to come contribute to my thread (linked above) as well, of course. :)

Thanks to all,

My Hoe

/ B owners - check your rear wheels #8  
Kubota B3030 B 2.15 EM.JPGHoe,
I didn't mean to ignore you; I don't visit here like I use to--especially since Kubota discontinued my B3030 and added regens to their engines.
As I don't run a belly mower, I can't comment if it would work with spacers. I needed spacers to make chains work on my rear tires for the bad winters we've been getting lately. I would have been sunk without chains.

/ B owners - check your rear wheels #9  
View attachment 438356Hoe,
I didn't mean to ignore you; I don't visit here like I use to--especially since Kubota discontinued my B3030 and added regens to their engines.
As I don't run a belly mower, I can't comment if it would work with spacers. I needed spacers to make chains work on my rear tires for the bad winters we've been getting lately. I would have been sunk without chains.

AStanton,

Hey man, no worries!

I didn't think you were ignoring me, by any means. In fact, quite the opposite--every time I've put out a "Mayday," you've been one of the "First Responders"--LOL.

I'm just baffled that, what I recall as being a fairly active topic/problem (i.e., wheel spacers causing tire interference with belly mowers), is getting ZERO responses. (And I don't want to keep "bumping" it, and look like a PITA).

Love the pics of your B3030, all chained-up with the blower, btw! That's a serious "bit of kit," (as they say in England, not that I've been there, yet--I watch Wheeler Dealers, [Velocitynetwork] and other English shows, like Eastenders [PBS]--LOL). Although, your neck must turn farther, and easier, than mine. I had back surgery, too, so the blower I want will be going on the front. So I envy that you can keep the functionality of your FEL in place, and still blow snow. But, we do what we can, right? :thumbsup:

And it looks like your B3030 had the opening side windows. My B3000 does NOT have those (though the back window, with the defrost wires, does open). I wish it had the side windows that opened.

Tell me, if you would, did you find a need to open the side windows much?
Did it help with defogging, in winter? Because I do not believe the B3000HSDCC (that I have) has any heat/defrost blown-air, to the rear--just the front. Happily, the rear glass has the in-glass defrost wires. But I'm just wondering if you needed to open the side windows, under certain conditions, to keep them fog-free, or not?

Thanks again, and good to hear from you!

And to anyone else reading this: if ANYONE has any info on whether or not one can add Kubota 1.5" wheel spacers (total increased rear track = 3") to a B3000, with TURF tires, and have, or NOT have problems with a RCK-60" belly mower wheel/deck interference, I would greatly appreciate it if you would visit this thread, and share your experiences--GOOD or BAD.

LINK: Will 1.5" Wheel Spacers Work with RCK60-30B 60" Belly Mower, on B3000?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...l-spacers.htmlhttp://

Thanks AStanton, and everyone else.

Peace,

My Hoe

/ B owners - check your rear wheels #10  
Hoe,
In my opinion, the side windows don't bring much to the party. Due to green house effect, you pretty much need the AC when it's over 70. Because the cab is so air tight, I hardly run the fan in winter for heat. I like an exchange of air and do leave the side window open, but the blower can send snow through the open vent windows at times. It's too bad they eliminated the side vent windows. It's too bad that manufacturers always look for ways to cut costs. One of my biggest complains about my B3030 was that it came with no 12-volt accessory plug. I purchased one from Radio Shack for $10.00 and installed it myself.
Good luck with your tractor.

Attachments

• 12-volt accessory plug.jpg
    12-volt accessory plug.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 127