BX FEL cutting edge replaceable?????

/ BX FEL cutting edge replaceable????? #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
I tried to clear about 3 inches of ICE from the neighborhood (concrete) driveways this morning. I started with my traditional 2x12 bolted under the cutting edge, but it wasn't penetrating the ice and quickly BROKE. Removed it and started using the cutting edge of the bucket to get under the ice.

I knew it was grinding off the cutting edge, but didn't really have any choice, if I wanted to get the drives cleared today...............

So, now that I've put more wear on the cutting edge today than in the past THREE YEARS, can anyone tell me if or where I can order a new cutting edge for it my BX?

I don't think I'll have to replace it yet, but another ice storm or two like this one and I will need to replace it.

Separately or in conjuntion with this, I plan to weld on some 3/16 x 4" wear plates under the bucket, so I don't end up wearing that out also.

Any ideas (other than waiting for spring for the ice to melt)?????????

THANKS.

Ron

/ BX FEL cutting edge replaceable????? #2  
I've put more wear than I care for on mine as well. I plan on buying a tooth bar to take the beating and remove it for smooth grading. Seems like a tooth bar would pull that ice up a lot quicker - as long as you don't angle the bucket down too much and bring up the concrete or asphalt.

/ BX FEL cutting edge replaceable????? #3  
Why not just add hard surface welding to the bottom of your existing cutting edge? A little bit of hard surface rod, and the existing edge should last forever.

ron

/ BX FEL cutting edge replaceable????? #4  
Mine is welded on. You can cut it out with a torch or plasma, and weld a new one in, if things get that bad.

/ BX FEL cutting edge replaceable?????
Update--since I had some more driveways to clean ice from today, I cut a chunk of 3/8 x 5" steel and bolted it to the cutting edge (through previously drilled holes I made earlier). Fixed it so the strap is about 1.5 inches in front of the original cutting edge. Didn't bother to sharpen it--figured a few more concrete driveways and it would have a nice cutting edge to it.

Someday I'll replace the cutting edge, but this mod should protect the bucket for years. I'll leave it on for dirt dumped on driveways, to protect that way also.

Next job is to weld some skid plates under the bucket; I'm noticing that the side plates are wearing down, since the edges run on the concrete as well. A few well placed 1/4 x 2 strap under the bucket should fix that.

Thanks for the inputes.

ron

/ BX FEL cutting edge replaceable????? #6  
Go buy some heavier cutting edge [ 5/8 x 4 in. ] and weld it on. It will stiffen the bucket and last forever. Weld some to the front side of the bucket edges and your idea of some wear plates on the bottom is perfect. The new cutting edge will be thicker and that leaves a nice spot on the bottom for these plates.

Guess how my bucket was modified after the cutting edge wore out?:D

Always wondered how everyone with the protected cutting edge to protect the drive removed ice???:D

Cutting edges are made for a specific purpose so use them for it.

/ BX FEL cutting edge replaceable????? #7  
Egon said:
Go buy some heavier cutting edge [ 5/8 x 4 in. ] and weld it on. It will stiffen the bucket and last forever. Weld some to the front side of the bucket edges and your idea of some wear plates on the bottom is perfect. The new cutting edge will be thicker and that leaves a nice spot on the bottom for these plates.

Guess how my bucket was modified after the cutting edge wore out?:D

Always wondered how everyone with the protected cutting edge to protect the drive removed ice???:D

Cutting edges are made for a specific purpose so use them for it.

I agree, I replaced my Dads with a new edge from the local heavy equipment dealer and it is MUCH better than the OEM Kubota edge.