Back hoe

/ Back hoe #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a back hoe on my Kubota 1610 and have found that overnight there is a loss of pressure in the hydraulics on the boom and it drops down 2". The back hoe is new and I talked to the supplier and he says this is normal- and I should park it up with the bucket on the ground. Is this right or is he making excuses for a poorly installed unit?-- Should I worry about a bit of movement anyway??

Comments welcomed.

/ Back hoe #2  
Oats,
Most operators do lower there BH&FEL to the ground,for there no pressure also safety reason while there gone.
Did you notice any leaks,and if not I wouldn't worry at this point..and you did contact the dealer so he knows if a problem should araises.

/ Back hoe #3  
Oats,

A 2” drop over night is pretty normal in my opinion. I would not worry. It is a good idea to drop the hoe and loader to the ground when you stop the tractor. If someone were to hit the wrong lever that hoe or loader could really hurt someone. Better safe than sorry.

MarkV

/ Back hoe #4  
For safety reasons, it just is common sense to put everything down. What if someone else (wife, child whomever) leaned against the wrong thing and there just happened to be another person in the danger zone?

As well, it puts less stress on everything if you take the pressure off.

/ Back hoe #5  
I'll chime in too - a small amount of cylinder creep overnight is probably ok. Leaving any part of your rig off the ground when parked overnite is not ok - too many possibilities - all of 'em bad.

/ Back hoe #6  
I have a 4690 backhoe on my 2910, and the couple of times that I left the bucket off the ground, it fell approximately one to two inches overnight. This is also very similar to the past threads on FEL leak-down rates (which do vary from tractor to tractor ... even in the same model series). So I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW, I agree with the rest of the folks in this thread ... lower your FEL, backhoe, and other rear implements when you're done with the tractor for the day ... it's much safer that way. Being new to tractors, I surprised myself early on when I accidentally hit the joystick and lo and behold, the FEL proceeded to drop to the ground, even though the engine, and therefore hydraulic system, were not in active operation.

Don