B7510HSD Radio Interference

/ B7510HSD Radio Interference #1  

whenley

I have a 7510HSD (love the tractor) but it causes severe radio interference to AM radio stations if the radio is in close proximity to the tractor. The interference does not occur at idle, but at any RPM greater than 1200 it is severe. It does it no matter if the tractor is hot or cold.
Is there some electric motor or fan that kicks on above about 1200rpm?

Anybody else notice this?
Suggestions?
Thanks

/ B7510HSD Radio Interference #2  
I get radio interference with my L2800 also. Someday I will get an Ipod so I won't have to worry about it.

/ B7510HSD Radio Interference #4  
I think most of my radio interference is due to distance from radio station, it breaks up when I turn my head on a regular basis.

/ B7510HSD Radio Interference
This interference is not due to direction. When it occurs it wipes out the entire AM band, regardless of directionality. It does not occur at idle, just over 1200RPM.

I was surprised, since diesels have no ignition system which is usually the source of AM radio interference.

I think the alternator is a good guess as to the culprit. Could be a poor rectifier design. That is a problem since the rectifier is probably integrated into the alternator.

/ B7510HSD Radio Interference #6  
It's either the alternator or dynamo, whichever your tractor has.
If you're powering you radio off of tractor power you can get a choke coil to wire into the power wire to the radio. They used to be readily available but you may have to go to an electroincs supply and/or Radio Shack to find one.

If the radio uses it's own power source (batteries etc) then you may try shielding the regulator with aluminum foil or a metal plate/box. I don't know where it's located on your tractor but if it's like the BX it'll be in a hard to get at location.

Good luck

Thanks All,
The radio is battery power, so interference does not come in that way.

My 7510 has the stock dynamo. Shielding the dynamo is a good idea and I will see what I can do, but it will be difficult since it is belt drive - impossible to totally enclose.
If anybody else has ideas - like filter capacitors or the like - I would appreciate the suggestions.
Thx again

/ B7510HSD Radio Interference #8  
I think the recomendation was to shield the regulator. The regulator will be a square shaped, block of aluminum with wires and fins for cooling.

I think that's what Volfandt meant: "If the radio uses it's own power source (batteries etc) then you may try shielding the regulator with aluminum foil or a metal plate/box."

The regulator usually lives somewhere under the dashboard.

/ B7510HSD Radio Interference #9  
I THINK Radio Shack has a filter that may be helpful.

Thanks, I missed that it was the regulator.

I havent been able to find the regulator on my 7510 - it was quite cold today so I wasnt able to spend a lot of time on it. But for the life of me, I cant figure out how to get to the area behind the dash.
Any advice?
thx