cold weather starting

/ cold weather starting #11  
WayneB said:
Friday morning it was -4 degrees here so I decided to check and see if the B7500 would start with no special treatment.

It was about the same here about 2 hours ago when I got up. I thought about trying the tractor, but then decided I didn't want to unnecessarily add any wear and tear--I have no new snow, nothing to do with the tractor except test it. Last time I ran it, it was about 10 degrees, I had it plugged in for about an hour, let the glow plugs go for about 30 seconds, and it fired up just fine. I also try to keep the fuel above 3/4 and use the white bottle additive.

/ cold weather starting
are most of you cold weather guys using a block heater? Is 1 minute to long to glow plug? the dealer says no! I think I might get the magnetic Block Heater this week and see if that helps.. I will fill y tank to the top today as well

/ cold weather starting #13  
dcbx1 said:
are most of you cold weather guys using a block heater? Is 1 minute to long to glow plug? the dealer says no! I think I might get the magnetic Block Heater this week and see if that helps.. I will fill y tank to the top today as well

I believe that Kubota engine blocks are made from aluminum. The magnetic block heater will have to be attached to an ferrous attachment on the block. I discovered this reality on my old Ford 1100. I really liked my old radiator return hose engine block heater. I read somewhere that the oil dipstick and oilpan heaters "bake" the oil and the sediment on the oil pan. Jay

/ cold weather starting #14  
dcbx1 said:

Not sure what your dealers said "no too"? I talked to my dealer this fall about a heater and he point blank told me I shouldn't need it. I took his word and did not spend the money. He did recommend keeping the tank full.

I guess the bottom line is if it is so cold that the tractor won't start I will just stay in next to the wood fire and stay warm.

/ cold weather starting #15  
proudestmonkey said:
It was about the same here about 2 hours ago when I got up. I thought about trying the tractor, but then decided I didn't want to unnecessarily add any wear and tear--I have no new snow, nothing to do with the tractor except test it. Last time I ran it, it was about 10 degrees, I had it plugged in for about an hour, let the glow plugs go for about 30 seconds, and it fired up just fine. I also try to keep the fuel above 3/4 and use the white bottle additive.

I agree with you totally, but there was this urge to "Just see if it would start" This is one of those winters with no snow that just drives us crazy.

On the news the other night they were talking about the amount of man made snow one of the ski resorts made last week and they said there was enough snow made to cover a foot ball feild with 85 feet high of snow. Now that is a bunch of white stuff. Not too sure how much of our water resource was used to produce that much snow? Typically they speak of 1" of rain is equal to 10 to 12 inches of snow, so go figure.

/ cold weather starting #16  
I installed a block heater last year and it makes a big differance during cold weather. The heater cost less than $50 and was easy to install. I draws about three amps which equates to 4 cents per hour with Consumers Energy. The tractor starts right up after an hour with the heater plugged in, but I usually let it soak for two to three hours.

/ cold weather starting
excuse my ignorance, what is a ferrous attachment on the block? are you saying the magnetic heater will not work?

/ cold weather starting
just went out, filled her to the brim... glow plugged her for 40 sec. started right up, what a difference 15 degrees makes... 30 degrees today

/ cold weather starting #19  
WayneB said:
I agree with you totally, but there was this urge to "Just see if it would start" This is one of those winters with no snow that just drives us crazy.

On the news the other night they were talking about the amount of man made snow one of the ski resorts made last week and they said there was enough snow made to cover a foot ball feild with 85 feet high of snow. Now that is a bunch of white stuff. Not too sure how much of our water resource was used to produce that much snow? Typically they speak of 1" of rain is equal to 10 to 12 inches of snow, so go figure.

I think I almost have that much in my front yard. With snow every weekend it just keeps building up. It does keep me busy though. This much snow can not really be plowed. It has to be moved.

/ cold weather starting #20  
I use the glow plugs on for about ten seconds, 15 seconds if it's below 0. It's a 7510 2005 model. Is this enough? I've never had a problem.