cold weather starting

/ cold weather starting #1  

dcbx1

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota bx1850
just a little info... went out to start my bx1850, to see if it would crankover in 10 degree weather.. it has been between 20 during daytime 5 at night for last few days.. after glow plugging 3 x for 1 minute each time she cranked over. I have previously added cold weather additive and diesel conditioner to my fuel, but was glad to see that it would start, in case I neede it for snow removal...? has anyone used a magnetic block heater or a dipstick heater? I think this would make it easier to crank.. stay warm, hope we get snow in Feb. so I can go out and play.....thanks for any input

/ cold weather starting #2  
I have used a magnetic heater on my fuel tank which is metal but only if temps get real low. Plus I use additive in the fuel. Also have a lower radiator inline heater that heats the water to about 140 deg. Just replaced my battery this year since it was 3 yrs. old. Have not tried the dipstick oil heater but don't think I need it. I did just replace my fuel filter after 150 hrs. on the old one it must have been partially plugged.

/ cold weather starting #3  
I have a block heater that the dealer installed. I went out today for the first time in two weeks (yes, I let it sit silent too long). I plugged the block heater in and gave it an hour. I then gave the glow plugs a minute before I started the tractor and let it sit while I wound up the extension cord... it's 100'.

Anyway, as I was putting the cord away the tractor started sputtering. It did this for about 10 minutes and at one point even stalled. I turned it off twice and just checked things out, which for me wasn't a lot of things to check out, but I looked at the fuel filter/connections and squeezed the lines just to see if they had frozen, but they were fine. Finally after moving it 100' (yep, next to the extension cord), it started running normal.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? It's pretty obvious that the engine wasn't getting gas. What gets me is that the tractor is 9 months old and I used cut gas with an additive just to be on the safe side.

Now I just wait for some snow so I can actually use the beast!
Thanks for any help!
Keith

/ cold weather starting #4  
REPLACE YOUR FUEL FILTER ON A REGUAL BASIS (AT LEAST TWICE/YR). THEIR CHEAP AND THERE'S ALWAYS WATER AND CRUD IN THE SEDIMENT BOWL!

/ cold weather starting #5  
HAD ANOTHER THOGHT AFTER THE THOUGHT........IN COLD WEATHER(JUST LIKE YOUR VEHICLE) KEEP YOUR TANK FILLED. IT REDUCES THE CONDESATION IN YOUR FUEL SYSTEM

/ cold weather starting #6  
andover farmer said:
REPLACE YOUR FUEL FILTER ON A REGUAL BASIS (AT LEAST TWICE/YR). THEIR CHEAP AND THERE'S ALWAYS WATER AND CRUD IN THE SEDIMENT BOWL!

If you need to change your fuel filter 2 times a year you need to change where you buy your fuel !:confused:

/ cold weather starting #7  
Stoweski said:
I have a block heater that the dealer installed. I went out today for the first time in two weeks (yes, I let it sit silent too long). I plugged the block heater in and gave it an hour. I then gave the glow plugs a minute before I started the tractor and let it sit while I wound up the extension cord... it's 100'.

Anyway, as I was putting the cord away the tractor started sputtering. It did this for about 10 minutes and at one point even stalled. I turned it off twice and just checked things out, which for me wasn't a lot of things to check out, but I looked at the fuel filter/connections and squeezed the lines just to see if they had frozen, but they were fine. Finally after moving it 100' (yep, next to the extension cord), it started running normal.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? It's pretty obvious that the engine wasn't getting gas. What gets me is that the tractor is 9 months old and I used cut gas with an additive just to be on the safe side.

Now I just wait for some snow so I can actually use the beast!
Thanks for any help!
Keith
Boy, that sure sounds like a fuel line freeze up, I use the diesel conditioner in the white bottle all year 'round, 3 ounce per five gallons. Keeping the tank full is good advice, too.

/ cold weather starting #9  
frank_f15 said:
If you need to change your fuel filter 2 times a year you need to change where you buy your fuel !:confused:

I agree with this too, with all the problem and the PITA factor with bleeding a kubota I say unless you have a problem leave it until you have the hours the manual wants you to change it at.

/ cold weather starting #10  
Friday morning it was -4 degrees here so I decided to check and see if the B7500 would start with no special treatment.

I prewarmed the glowplugs for a count of 15 and attempted to start it. Fired right off and started no problem.

I am a happy camper. Now once we get enough snow to blow it will take the day off and not start!!!!!!!!!!!!!