Battery Light

/ Battery Light #1  

loopyl

My L4400 only has 7 hours on it. The battery light won't turn off after the engine is started. It seems to be running fine, but do I have to worry about something? Everything seems to be hooked up right. Alterrnator? Loose wire? I cannot find a diagram anywhere that shows me what everything is supposed to look like. Can anyone help?

/ Battery Light #2  
I would look for a missing belt on the alternator. Pop the hood and make sure the alternator is turning when the engine is running.

I had some brush reach in there and pop-off my water pump belt the second day I used my tractor. The first clue was the overtemp alarm!

/ Battery Light #3  
You do have to worry. Either you have a light that is malfunctioning (on when it shouldn't be) or your charging system isn't working. If you aren't charging, you're running entirely on your battery. Since it is a diesel it won't behave the same as a gas engine (no spark plugs drawing power) but eventually it will fail to start. As suggested, checking the alternator belt is a good place to start. A loose wire (check to see if any of the connectors are not making good contact) is also a distinct possiblity.

Tracking down electrical issues can be a real chore. With only 7 hours this is something your dealer should take care of for you.