Frozen Loader Control in Cold weather

/ Frozen Loader Control in Cold weather #1  

Engine66

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305 & 4720/400cx/BH448
I know there have been previous threads on this...I read a few, but could not locate the one by PaulB that has been a record breaking thread. Anyway, I need some help. I have a l3830 in Ver,mont and the loader control arm would not operate in the bucket dump position even after the tractor was warmed up and operated. The other positions were all fine. I called the dealer...they said possible condensation/water build-up in the loader control valve was frozen and advised me to drill a small 1/8" hole at the base of the 2 hex shaped valves. Those holes would allow the water to drain out once the ice inside was melted. So I inspect the ends of the hex valves and place the drill bit at the base and drill. I did not realize it, but there's a retainer ring that holds the end of a cap or sleeve in the hex valve from sliding out. I was unaware that it was a 2 piece design with a sleeve that comes out. I was able to put the o-ring back in place, but there's a little bit of oil that seeps out...not much...not even dripping...maybe a drop or 2 for the day. The other valve is ok. Did I screw myself? If any of you did the same thing or have some input, please share. I'd like to know if I need to replace those valve ends and if it's something I can do or is it a dealer issue? Thanks for the help.

/ Frozen Loader Control in Cold weather #2  
...not sure what you drilled into. A picture would be useful.

When I drilled mine, I drilled into the valve end cap. That cap bolts on and holds the springs for the dent position. That's where the water ends up.

/ Frozen Loader Control in Cold weather
I drilled into the very ends of the 2 hex shaped valves that have a XY sticker on them...they face the ground at a 45 degree angle and are the furthest point down on the valve assembly. The ends have a groove that hold a metal o retainer ring that keeps a sleeve or cap in place from coming out. I will try to post a pic.