B7800 PTO Noise?

/ B7800 PTO Noise? #1  

Fjord

Silver Member
Tractor
B7800
Well, I've had my B7800 for about 2 1/2 months now and put on 17 hours( of which about 20% is warmup time) mostly loader and cleanup work which it has done very well. Our recent snowfall has given me the first opportunity to use the PTO (on my used 60" rear snowblower). I noticed that as I get into the snow (only about 4") and the PTO is under load I hear a "chuff chuff chuff chuff" noise coming from the gearbox in the area of the PTO .The noise goes away when there is no load on it. To make sure that the noise is not related to the snowblower, I took the snowblower off and connected the PTO to my 60" Bush Hog and the noise persisted . I also notice an instantaneous clattering noise when I depress the clutch and the Bush Hog continues to drive the PTO around as it spins down-almost like there's too much play in the gears.My only point of reference is my old IH 300 which didn't make any such noise when the Bush Hog was coasting down. I'm going to call the dealer (30 miles away) this week , but was just wondering if any other B7800 owners have noticed any similar noises. Thanks for your help.

/ B7800 PTO Noise? #3  
I noticed some noise comming from my Landpride rotary cutter when it was in the 'all the way' raised position.

The key for me was to make sure the angle of the PTO shaft was not in an extreme position. I was accustomed to engaging the cutter while it was in the fully raised position. This put some serious torque on the shaft and made some serious clanking from the gear box .... Engaging the device while level or at least not maxed out in the raised position solved the noise issue.

/ B7800 PTO Noise?
Thanks for the replies.I didn't know about the internal overrunning clutch.It doesn't make the clattering noise the whole time it's coasting down, just for the split second during the transition from "driving" to "being driven". The original noise seems to have more to do with being under load than the angle of the PTO shaft. I tried running the snowblower in the raised position and there was no noise. Only starts when it actually loads up and starts blowing snow.Thanks again.