l4330 R4 tire setting

/ l4330 R4 tire setting #1  

Mike_VT

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740 HSTC
Have l4330 with r4s ans want to put chains on the rears. The clearance between the tire and fender is appx. 1.5 - 2 inches. It seems that the tire set up is at its max point. The tire set up has the valve stems in, the hub is dished in the proper direction. Based on the offset of how the rim is attached to the hub (I'll call them ears) would I pick up any clearance if I switched the right and left tires and face the stem out? Any advice on running chains with this small amount of clearance will be helpful.

/ l4330 R4 tire setting #2  
Mike…
Can you post a picture of your wheel set up? As you know chains will sling out, (grow taller) with increased speed. You can try bungee ‘snuggers’ on the outside, but I think you may want a little more clearance. KennyV.

/ l4330 R4 tire setting #3  
Mike_VT
Your set up sounds like mine. The mounting ears on the hub are on the outside of the hub which is the widest position as I read the manual.

Vernon

/ l4330 R4 tire setting #4  
I run chains on the rear of my L4330 all winter. I have turfs and haven't measured the clearance ...I will tomorrow, if you like. I don't really have a problem ...except, I have left on two extra side chain links on the inside to make the initial connection easier and, when I re-tighten sometimes the extra links will hit one spot ...usually, I tuck the extra length inside the side chain and that takes care of the problem, for a while ...I could wire it or, of course cut it off, entirely. Now, I do use chain adjusters on the outsides and make sure they are good and tight. I did have to shorten the chains when I first got them by, maybe, four links or more to get the right fit. I used a dremel abrasive cut off wheel to cut them. None of my bolt cutters would touch so big a chain ...could have used a torch, but (with eye protection and a few discs) the dremel does a great job. If you have to relocate a cross chain to get the right fit, I have a dandy tool that can pry open and reclose the side fastening. see tirechains and look down at the 33" "tractor type" ...the pix show how it works (and, it does work)

Incidentally, mine are four-link ladder cross chains, which are suitable for my turfs (and probably R-4s, but perhaps not R1s). Two-link would give me a better ride, but it would double the weight of the chain and puttin' them on is no picnic, now.

So, all in all, no problem with chains on my L4330, just get them to fit right, tighten the side chains, and use chain adjusters. Incidentally, if I had a problem, I would have put chain adjusters on the inside, too ...my adjusters come apart at the inner "circle" (pentagon, really) and I do, in fact, have a second set, that I got in anticipation, but have never used. If you need a little mechanical help tightening the side chains, check out Skidder Chain Tightener from Baileys-online.com ...this link shows a "jack" chain tightener, but also mentions the screw type which is better.

Sorry for the long post, and sorry it's too cold and dark, now, to measure my clearance, but you don't need much if you are willing to tailor your install.

PS: I also run V-link ladder chains on the front ...same tight fit, no problem

/ l4330 R4 tire setting
Thanks for the information. If you could let me know the clearance that would be great. It just seems so tight to be running chains between the tire and inside fender. Mike