BX2200 front drive shaft pin sheared

/ BX2200 front drive shaft pin sheared #1  

bxbuster

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200
For some reason my bx keeps shearing the roll pin in the front drive shaft. has anyone else had this problem or heard of such? I can't see how the pin is shearing as the shaft is splined.

Thanks for any replies!

/ BX2200 front drive shaft pin sheared #2  
I would check the front axle to make sure the shafts inside are turning without problems....if you have a tooth broken off inside, it could be getting caught in the gears. BTW, I don't think that front drive shaft is splined...I could be wrong though. Are you using the right roll pins? They may be a harder grade.

/ BX2200 front drive shaft pin sheared #3  
Are you using chains on the front?

/ BX2200 front drive shaft pin sheared #4  
I would have to guess you are shearing the pin with an axial (along the length of the shaft) load, not a torque, since, as you pointed out, the joint is splined to carry the torque. One of the joints in that drive line is meant to slip axially. I think it's the one that is forward of the supported U-joint under the engine. Try cleaning an lubricating that spline the next time the pin fails.

/ BX2200 front drive shaft pin sheared #5  
Tagging - on to Gamemasters?
If your'e using chains on the front tires, while engaged in 4WD, your stressing the front drive train, because the front axle and tires spin faster than your rears (it's called slippage) The drive train ratio (front:back) is designed to have the front tires lead the machine. Front chains ****** slippage.

/ BX2200 front drive shaft pin sheared
I'm not using chains. The first time it sheared I was hauling boulders that were definatley at the capacity of the loader as I was riding around the yard on the front tires. Quite a commical ride but hey these things are tough. The pin didn't acutally shear then but sometime later while operating on flat ground. I can't see how chains could affect the pin as the drive shaft is splined. It's a vrey odd setup if you ask me. A yolk on a splined shaft and then it's pinned with a roll pin. The only way I can see the pin shearing is if the stress is causing the yolk to be pulled or pushed on or off the shaft. Even if that is the case the other end should be able to move to accomodate. I'm wondering if the advice to grease up the other end is the answer here. Otherwise I'm wondering if the stops on the front axle have bent or worn enough to cause the shaft to extend beyond its limits. The second time it sheared off I was driving down a gravel driveway and BANG! Anyway, it's been good so far for the plowing season I was more curious if anyone had similiar experiences and could point me to the cause. One other thing to note is the roll pin is not something you pick up at the hardware store. It must be some type of metric pin. I had to take a standard pin and cut a larger groove in it.

Thanks all for your replies and if anyone else has anything to add I'd appreciate it.

Mike

/ BX2200 front drive shaft pin sheared #7  
If the rear wheels are not getting traction, then most likely you would break an axle or gear. Check that your front axle brackets are tightly secured to the frame. I have seen many come loose and cause this problem. The roll pin only keeps the shaft from sliding forward or backward. No tension against pin.

/ BX2200 front drive shaft pin sheared #8  
bxbuster, I used to have this problem frequently losing the pins got to where carried spares in tool box or breaking the propeller shaft (5) so far then front pinion shaft broke so had to remove and replace all bearings, gears, seals. Expensive. what I found was the front axle case and case boss and front axle bracket worn to point wobble of axle would bind and break something Kobuta says replace front housing. Had pictures but lost when computewr quit.
Place a jack or blocking under front frame to where wheels just off ground move axle forward or rear ward to check wobble, the front axle bracket held by 2 bolts and no way of lubing bushing 4 bolts for rear axle bracket holds the pinion shaft ,most likely worn also.Just my problem if some one had men tioned earlier would of cost my expense of a couple thousand. ken

/ BX2200 front drive shaft pin sheared #9  
big johnkub The pins are mashed by the pinion jambing backwards toward transmission and thanks for the help on earlier post of engine problems. ken

/ BX2200 front drive shaft pin sheared #10  
It's been 2 weeks did you locate problem of pins snaping on front end?