O.K. To move B7800 with parking brake on?

/ O.K. To move B7800 with parking brake on? #1  

Fjord

Silver Member
Tractor
B7800
The other day I was backing up to connect the 3pt hitch and there was a hollow in the ground just short of where I had to stop.Every time I got to the right spot the tractor would roll back while I was getting my foot from the hydro pedal to the brake. I ended up cramming both my feet over to one side of the deck so I could do the hydro and brake at the same time. I got thinking afterwards maybe I could just set the parking brake and then when I got to the right spot the tractor would stay when I let off of the hydro pedal.I was wondering if moving the tractor for a short distance like that with the parking brake applied is likely to cause any damage, or if anybody has some other technique for doing the hydro pedal/brake shuffle.

/ O.K. To move B7800 with parking brake on? #2  
You won't do any damage. I think most members here will admit that at some point and time, they've driven a lot further than that with the brake on. Not me of course.......

/ O.K. To move B7800 with parking brake on? #3  
Fjord said:
The other day I was backing up to connect the 3pt hitch and there was a hollow in the ground just short of where I had to stop.Every time I got to the right spot the tractor would roll back while I was getting my foot from the hydro pedal to the brake. I ended up cramming both my feet over to one side of the deck so I could do the hydro and brake at the same time. I got thinking afterwards maybe I could just set the parking brake and then when I got to the right spot the tractor would stay when I let off of the hydro pedal.I was wondering if moving the tractor for a short distance like that with the parking brake applied is likely to cause any damage, or if anybody has some other technique for doing the hydro pedal/brake shuffle.

I have done that very technique many times where pin point accuracy was critical and tractor roll after getting the tractor into position caused me to loose that position. Locking up the tractor with the parking brake while having the hydro in low gear works very well.

/ O.K. To move B7800 with parking brake on?
Okay, thanks next time I'll do it that way and not have to worry about it. Cramming both feet to one side seems really awkward. On the same note, I'm now wondering if separating the right and left brakes and the setting the parking brake will lock in just whichever brake is applied. If so that might be useful when trying to do a tight turn. Going to try it next time I'm out. Thanks for the replies.

/ O.K. To move B7800 with parking brake on? #5  
KubotaOne said:
You won't do any damage. I think most members here will admit that at some point and time, they've driven a lot further than that with the brake on. Not me of course.......

me either.....just like I have never hit my garage door roof with the ROPS fully extended

/ O.K. To move B7800 with parking brake on? #6  
I was hooking up the bush hog (rotary cutter) yesterday. I was just inches away from being able to hook up. I kept getting back on the tractor, inching back (I have HST also), inching back...would get off and "roll" an inch forward...I just couldn't get it quite right.

So, from the right side of the tractor, I manipulated the gear pedal with my hand while standing off the tractor. Well, as we all know, it will go dead because of the sensor in the seat (or wherever it is, doesn't matter really) not being made by weight of the operator.

Anyhow, it was kicking my butt. So, I climbed aboard, set the parking brakes, got off and manipulated the gear pedal with my hand again. Lo and behold...it worked. And, it wouldn't go dead...? I could use my hand from the right side standing beside the tractor while looking back to see how many millimeters I needed to move. Once I got this close, I could unlock the extendable arms and move them the rest of the way:):)

Like I said, I only had to move the tractor an inch or two and was very careful not to give it too much gear, besides all I had to watch out for is myself...no pets, children or anything out there but me, tractor and the bush hog.

Maybe this trick will help you sometime.

Podunk

/ O.K. To move B7800 with parking brake on? #7  
Northland said:
me either.....just like I have never hit my garage door roof with the ROPS fully extended

Or me hitting the frame of the garage door with the bucket when mis-judging my turn.

I probably have a couple hours of use with the parking brake engaged. It happens.

/ O.K. To move B7800 with parking brake on? #8  
I have mowed an acre with the parking brake on...

mark

/ O.K. To move B7800 with parking brake on? #9  
I thought you were supposed to keep the parking brakes on at all times except when you were on the highway.

/ O.K. To move B7800 with parking brake on? #10  
Been there and done that! And the garage thing also.