Snow Snow Removal

/ Snow Removal #1  

AceDeuce

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1500 w/ R1's and LA181 FEL
Well, I made a BIG mess out of my driveway last weekend. I woke up on Sunday morning and to my surprise we had 8" of unpredicted snow. It was wet, heavy and sticky. So heavy I couldn't push it with the back side of my rear blade like usual (it would just ride up and over the pile). I had to turn the blade around and push with the front side. It worked great at moving the snow but of course it also dup up lots of gravel which is now in the process of slowly settling into my front yard as the snow melts.

Ironically, I had a contractor out to bid on paving my driveway the day before the storm!

/ Snow Removal #2  
I clear all my neighbor's driveways EXCEPT those with gravel. I just can't get the snow up without doing damage to their gravel. I guess I could if I took forever on the task, but I have my limits when doing a favor...4 snowfalls/icefalls so far this year and I clear 7 200' to 600' long driveways free of charge after each.

I only use the FEL. Works OK.

/ Snow Removal #3  
AceDeuce said:
Well, I made a BIG mess out of my driveway last weekend. I woke up on Sunday morning and to my surprise we had 8" of unpredicted snow. It was wet, heavy and sticky. So heavy I couldn't push it with the back side of my rear blade like usual (it would just ride up and over the pile). I had to turn the blade around and push with the front side. It worked great at moving the snow but of course it also dup up lots of gravel which is now in the process of slowly settling into my front yard as the snow melts.

Ironically, I had a contractor out to bid on paving my driveway the day before the storm!

It looks like I am not the only one who has the problem of plowing on a gravel driveway. Last night I was trying to plow ~6" of wet snow. I think I plowed more 3/4" gravel than snow! I had the spacers set so the blade would be ~ 1/2" above the gravel and I used the float position of the valve when I was using the front blade of the B7800, see the attached photo. It ended up after I made a big mess of the gravel I used the back side of the blade while using the tractor in reverse to level out the skid shoe ruts and the piles of stone. I know when the snow melts I will have a lot of raking to do..... Hey wait what a great excuse to buy a new 3 pt rake come this Spring. "Honey you know my back is bad and I just need to get our driveway raked into shape"! Sounds like a Woods or ATI rake may be in order.

Dennis Bialecki

Attachments

• Plow-Hookup-WC.jpg
    Plow-Hookup-WC.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 550
   / Snow Removal #4  
First time posting here, but I love this forum. I almost got the front blade but decided for a rear blade instead. I found the FEL to be too damaging. I have 1000' drive and the rear blade works great! It is a 5' king kutter

/ Snow Removal #5  
I have a 3/8 mile gravel trail that goes to my cabin. I make a practice run on it in November with the back blade, keeping just above the gravel, and write down the setting. I use that setting and take what I get. I don't dig up gravel but it isn't cleared all the way down either. It's plenty good to drive on.

I usually blow my blacktop drive with the L3400 but the last storm I had to use the Ford with the rear blade. I got it all to the side and then used the loader to dump it a few feet beyond. That took a lot of time with the Ford (no HST). I really hate this wet stuff.

/ Snow Removal #6  
If the blade shoes are digging in, that tells me the ground didn't freeze. Bummer... but all is not lost. Consider attaching a 1" diameter pipe (I used black pipe) to the blade. The round shape to the pipe will allow the blade to travel over 3/4" gravel...no shoes required and no digging into the gravel. :D

/ Snow Removal #7  
Pks said:
If the blade shoes are digging in, that tells me the ground didn't freeze. Bummer... but all is not lost. Consider attaching a 1" diameter pipe (I used black pipe) to the blade. The round shape to the pipe will allow the blade to travel over 3/4" gravel...no shoes required and no digging into the gravel. :D

Thanks, creativity over capital! That is what I like about the members of this form.

/ Snow Removal #8  
Pks said:

Sounds like a good idea. How do you attach it? I would not want to weld it on. I suppose it could be welded to a plate and bolted on.

/ Snow Removal #9  
ccsial said:
Sounds like a good idea. How do you attach it? I would not want to weld it on. I suppose it could be welded to a plate and bolted on.

I wonder if the pipe idea makes much sense for those of us in colder climates, where the ground is usually frozen all winter, which holds the gravel in place (mostly). Seems like a good idea, though, for guys living in Virginia, where a big snowstorm falls on soft gravel, which makes it a bit easier to make a mess of a gravel driveway.

I know I am going to have to re-grade my driveway come spring, to push the gravel back into the middle. No big deal as long as I don't dig into the base. Better than blowing it 20 feet onto the grass.

/ Snow Removal #10  
If this nasty storm arrives like the weather station saying AD your gonner have some more heavy white to push.

Digging up the driveway...but you didn't stall the tractor while plowing,that's a good sign you are getting the feel of plowing.