Changing UDT hydraullic flud - major stupid

/ Changing UDT hydraullic flud - major stupid #21  
I really wouldn't worry alot about it if it came down to splitting the case but I would try blowing some air in there and seeing if I could get it to pop up somewhere. Might even try a little kerosene/diesel to help move it around. I would think it would be easier to get out the bottom than the top. It would be kwel if they made plastic magnets. :D

/ Changing UDT hydraullic flud - major stupid #22  
I took a picture of it, but for some reason my memory card reader isn't reading my memory card, but a couple of years ago I bought a vacuum cleaner hose at Sid Harvey's that is 4' long, about 5/8" diameter and is semi-rigid. It will stay in whatever shape you bend it to. Maybe something like that would help you access the nether regions of your tractor. I'm also wondering if the piece might float in a heavier gear oil.

/ Changing UDT hydraullic flud - major stupid #23  
Rick,

Here is that picture

jb

Last edited:
   / Changing UDT hydraullic flud - major stupid #24  
This is America... lawsuit against the funnel manufacture, raw material suppliers and everyone else involved including fluid makers. Take proceeds and trade in tractor for a new model.

mark

/ Changing UDT hydraullic flud - major stupid #25  
The idea of adapting a small diameter hose to your existing shop vac hose seems logical. A small hose will increase suction; it will manuver around in the case fairly well and hopefully , it will pick up the spout. Good luck.

/ Changing UDT hydraullic flud - major stupid #26  
Hi Thunderworks,

I would not run the tractor, (except as a last resort), despite what the experts say. I would drain the hyd oil since the funnel end has sunken into the oil and can't be seen.

Then call a plumber! Many of the larger plumbing outfits have those cameras (with lights), which can be snaked down drains and pipes to inspect them. I have watched them do it. I would make a call or two with your problem and see what they say. Then gather what tools you may need to grab or snag the funnel end before the plumber comes out and be ready. Do the parts places have grabbers with longer fingers?

/ Changing UDT hydraullic flud - major stupid #27  
As a mechanic I to would suggest you NOT run it with the funnel end in there. If it get's between two gears it could do some real damage. Sure, it will get chewed up but gears only have clearances of a couple of thousands of a inch. When it goes between them it's going to take up that cleanance and put a huge load on the bearing's and could in a worst case situation crack a bearing race.

The plumbers borescope idea sounds interesting. Personally I have a couple of borescopes I use for repair work. They are priceless tools when you need them.

Here's a thought. It greatly depends on were the drain plug is located. Drain the fluid and see if you can fish around through the hole with a piece of stiff wire and locate it. If you can get it to the drain hole you should be able to get to it with a pair of long tip needle nose pliers. I have no doubt it won't fit through the hole so you will probably have to rip it out in pieces. If you can't locate it try blowing aire in from the top with a air gun and see if you can get it blown to the bottom.

/ Changing UDT hydraullic flud - major stupid #29  
   / Changing UDT hydraullic flud - major stupid #30  
Looks like a good idea to me too but I’d be careful with the bulbs and the 90 degree adapter they reference. It looks like they possibly just slip on the end and you don’t want to make your situation worse by one of them getting caught on something coming off inside.

If you can see it you have a better chance of dealing with it either back through the top of out the bottom.

Good luck.