Plowed today, Impression of R4 has changed.

/ Plowed today, Impression of R4 has changed. #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
The first time I plowed, without my wheel weights, the L-39 did fine with the R4's. It was a cold day and the snow was dry and crunchy.

I plowed again today, with the extra 530 lbs added but plowing soft wet snow. The R4's were like a hockey puck on ice. My front drive 96 beater Buick had more traction. I was spinning in 10th gear!

If I use the L-39 to plow, I will get front and rear chains for next winter.

A beater plow truck makes make more sense for a warm seat and cab.

/ Plowed today, Impression of R4 has changed. #2  
Yup,that type of snow we just got tire chains sure came in handy Mike....no storms in sight,and maybe after this coming cold snap the snow banks will start to melt...I am ready for spring.

/ Plowed today, Impression of R4 has changed. #3  
My chainless tractor owner neighbor just chuckles when he sees my rear chains on the R4's. He wasn't laughing this past week though.:D I am sure he will have chains next year too.

/ Plowed today, Impression of R4 has changed. #4  
When I saw the post title I thought you were getting ready to plant corn.

/ Plowed today, Impression of R4 has changed. #5  
I've actually had good luck w/o chains so far. This past storm turned to rain here and the blower cleared it very well, no clogs in the chute, not even close. I was suprised, it was real wet and heavy. It did take a little slower speed but, thats ok. I've got the skid shoes set all the way down so I don't pick up too many rocks, so I used the loader in float to finish up. The traction was pretty good. I've been cutting through the field from the stalls to the compost pile out back and it handled that ok as well. Two areas have a bit of short incline, It side-slipped a little once, although I was hitting it at an angle, but thats about it. So far - so good.

/ Plowed today, Impression of R4 has changed. #6  
I had to buy chains (v-bar ladder chains) for my B7800 w/R-4's as my traction was poor in trying to push any amount of snow. That and on any type of slope the tractor had a tendency to slip slideways. I had the B7800 hung up againts a maple tree along side my driveway.

While the chains work very well and are worth the $ I have had a **** of a time getting them fitted properly. They were too loose so yesterday I took out a cross section in order to shorten the chain. I then pulled and proded until I have the stupid things as tight as they can go. I am heading out now to plough 5 inches of fresh snow from last night so I do hope they stay positioned well.

/ Plowed today, Impression of R4 has changed. #7  
A trick I've used with tremendous success in the past was to lower the inflation way down on the tires, install the chains, and then air the tires back up again. Makes for very snug chain installations...

/ Plowed today, Impression of R4 has changed. #8  
5030tinkerer said:
A trick I've used with tremendous success in the past was to lower the inflation way down on the tires, install the chains, and then air the tires back up again. Makes for very snug chain installations...

Thanks for that advice. I think my grunt method paid off as my one chain held on well throughout my morning ploughing.

/ Plowed today, Impression of R4 has changed. #9  
5030tinkerer said:

Yep. That's the way I did my lawn tractor every fall. Works great! :)

/ Plowed today, Impression of R4 has changed. #10  
I have a "hodge podge" chain setup on my L3400. I have a v-bar chain on the right side & a regular chain on the left side. Both don't see very much ice in between the lugs of my R-1's though. This summer I'll have a better set all the way around with the connecting links in the middle to keep them out. I want the front chains for steering. With the bucket in scrape-mode, the tractor just wants to go straight all the time.