Slime it or plug it?

/ Slime it or plug it? #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
I have a slow leak in the rear tire on my BX-23, and want to know if anyone has used slime to seal their non loaded rear tires? One or two cans? Or if I should just get my ATV plug kit and fix it that way. Any saftey concerns you can think of. Will slime attack the rims over time?
thanks

/ Slime it or plug it? #2  
Out here in the land of mesquite trees my BX would not go half a day with out slime in all wheels. i have a quart in every tire.

/ Slime it or plug it? #3  
As to the rims, I have a '92 MTD lawn tractor that's had Slime, or Berryman's or whatever since new and the rims looked new when I replaced tires a couple years ago.

/ Slime it or plug it? #4  
Slime it. :) Pick your favorite brand. If you use your tractor in freezing weather try to use one that has anti-freeze in it so it doesen't freeze up on you.

/ Slime it or plug it? #5  
I have the same problem (picked up a piece of wire). I put a can of fix a flat in the rear tire about a year ago and it is now starting to slow leak again. Picked up another can of fix a flat... just waiting for the weather to warm up before putting it in.

mark

/ Slime it or plug it? #6  
Stay away from spray can type "fix-a-flat" products. That stuff dries like concrete in your tire and is next to near impossible to get out. Often times the tire has to be cut off the rim because it get's glued on by the stuff.

Use the semi-fluid tire leak preventing type and not the emergency fix in a can stuff. If you read the label on most cans of fix-a-flat it tells you to remove it and get the hole fix as soon as possible. Alot of the fix-a-flat in a can sealants also will rust your rims as they do not have any anticorrosive additives in them.

/ Slime it or plug it? #7  
just a point of info i have a brand new front tire on rim brand spankin new from kubota if any one needs it , it wont work on my bx 24.... it is the left side front ,the tires are directional......

/ Slime it or plug it? #8  
Over the course of last summer I added a quart of slime to each of my tires. Honey locust trees are murder on them. It has worked perfectly . I have used plugs in the atv tires but they tend to develop slow leaks after a while so I have those slimed as well.

/ Slime it or plug it? #9  
As an FYI--Gemplers has 2 grades of sealers (I think one will seal up to 1/2" hole) and they come in gallon and 5 gallon sizes. It is water soluble--anyone who needs to work on the tires after you "slime" them always appreciates the water soluble ones more than the "fix a flat" types.

/ Slime it or plug it? #10  
B8FISH said:
As an FYI--Gemplers has 2 grades of sealers (I think one will seal up to 1/2" hole) and they come in gallon and 5 gallon sizes. It is water soluble--anyone who needs to work on the tires after you "slime" them always appreciates the water soluble ones more than the "fix a flat" types.

That's a very good point I forgot to mention. Make sure it is water soluble. Some tire shops won't work on tires that have non water soluble sealer in them and I don't blame them.