Mowing BX2200 Need help removing mower deck!!!

/ BX2200 Need help removing mower deck!!! #1  

THEDADLORD

Tractor
Kubota BX2200
I'm a new Kubota owner and I'm not sure how to get the 60" mower deck separated from the PTO, so I can remove the deck for blade sharpening.
I searched through the forum and I didn't see any info on that. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/ BX2200 Need help removing mower deck!!! #2  
THEDADLORD said:
I'm a new Kubota owner and I'm not sure how to get the 60" mower deck separated from the PTO, so I can remove the deck for blade sharpening.
I searched through the forum and I didn't see any info on that. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If your bx2200 is like my bx1500, the drive shaft on the mower has a sliding collar that attaches to the mid pto. It's kind of an awkward operation (at least to me), but you have to reach under the tractor and kind of slide the collar toward the pto, then pull it away from the pto. If the mechanism releases as it should, the shaft will come right off the pto. It might take a few tries before you get the hang of it, so be patient. It doesn't take a lot of force, but it needs to be properly applied.

/ BX2200 Need help removing mower deck!!! #3  
THEDADLORD said:

On my tractor - B1750 - there is a sleve to pull back on the PTO end of the shaft that unlocks the shaft from PTO. I am sure it is going to be something similar on BX.

/ BX2200 Need help removing mower deck!!! #4  
My bx1500 is the same way. Slide the outer collar back, and pull the shaft out of the tractor. It may take some pursuading depending on how long it has been since it was taken off. You may have to wrestle it a bit.

/ BX2200 Need help removing mower deck!!! #5  
I have found that lowering the deck down to it's lowest point (like it says in the book) allows extra room to get into the shaft. Forgetting to do that makes it tough.

/ BX2200 Need help removing mower deck!!!
I cannot find any type of sleeve on my PTO that could slide away. Mine looks like solid half shafts with a u-joint in the middle. I've worked on mechanisms all my life, but I'm stumped by this one.

/ BX2200 Need help removing mower deck!!! #7  
How about posting a pic? Is it a Kubota MMM? Sure doesn't sound like it.... Never seen a kubota MMM deck with a ujoint in the middle...

/ BX2200 Need help removing mower deck!!! #8  
THEDADLORD said:
I cannot find any type of sleeve on my PTO that could slide away. Mine looks like solid half shafts with a u-joint in the middle. I've worked on mechanisms all my life, but I'm stumped by this one.

South of the U-joint (not the mower end) there is an almost bell shaped apparatus end of the shaft that is the collar of the female end of the business. Pull the bell outward or back and the female end slides off the male end of the PTO. Raise you scalping wheels first, lower the cut height to 0 and drop the deck to the floor so you have lots of room before you start.:rolleyes:

/ BX2200 Need help removing mower deck!!! #9  
Maybe a picture will help...

Attachments

• deck rermoval.jpg
    deck rermoval.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 828
   / BX2200 Need help removing mower deck!!! #10  
With the deck raised, take out the wheel pins and rotate the wheels 90 degrees so that they will roll sideways; position the wheels so that the deck will sit low when you lower it. Replace the pins. Lower the deck.

On the front of the tractor, draw back the locking pin and set it into its retraction groove. Push the lever down. Remove the forward portion of the mechanism. Now, take the next section, push it back so that it uncouples from the U-hooks on the deck, and remove this section.

Beneath the tractor on each side of the deck, the lift arms need to be uncoupled. Retract the connecting pins, rotate them so that they lock in retracted position. Start the engine and lift the hitch, which also lifts these mid-tractor arms. Shut off tractor.

Go to the left side of the tractor and use your foot to push the deck sideways. This works best on paved surface. Several times, you will need to reallign and tack in slightly different directions as differing parts bump the tires to roll the deck sideways from beneath the tractor. The drive shaft will simply slide apart, taking one portion with the deck as it rolls from beneath the tractor.

Once the deck has cleared the tractor, it is very easy to position yourself beneath the tractor. Use your palm to hold the body of the coupling stationary, while your fingertips retract the coupling. Now pull backwards on the entire coupling. It will slide right off.

When done with the blades. Find the double groove keyslot and slide the two halves of the shaft back together. Roll the deck beneath the tractor and recouple at the PTO. This can be difficult for the uninitiated, but with practice comes skill and speed. Do everything else in reverse order to reattach the deck: center deck to lift arms, lower them slowly, allign and latch. Put the 2 portions of the front carriage back into place, lift the lever, set the locking pin. Start engine, lift deck. Shut down. Rotate wheels.

I have a plywood dolly with 16 2" casters for my deck, so I never have to rotate those wheels. Takes me less than 2 min. to disattach and about the same to reattach.

Good luck.