Removing FOPS on L-39

/ Removing FOPS on L-39 #1  

dannyk

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere tractors 20-40HP; skid steer loader
I would like to remove the FOPS and its front supports from my L-39 tractor–loader (I don't have the backhoe). I would also remove the lights. I would leave the rear ROPS intact and re-brace it with steel at the top in the center on its front and back surfaces to compensate for removing the overhead FOPS frame. The tractor would then look similar to any tractor with a fixed rear ROPS.

It appears that this modification could be easily accomplished by removing the four bolts at the top of the rear ROPS and the four bolts (two each side) that attach the front FOPS supports to the loader.

The reason I would do this is that the tractor would be more useful in the forest and would not get hung up on tree branches as it does with the FOPS and lights in place. I would also gain a couple of inches of clearance when entering my garage.

My question is whether this modification would potentially cause any structural problems with the loader. Are there any other reasons why I should not perform this modification?

(I have also sent this message to Kubota via their contact page.)

Thanks for your replies,
Danny

/ Removing FOPS on L-39 #2  
The response that you'll get from Kubota and from any dealer is not not mess with it because its safty equipment, this opens up a whole can of worms when it comes to liability issues. Also, given the strength of the loader it suspect they may have figures in some structural support from the FOPS into the equasion. I would not mess with it.

/ Removing FOPS on L-39 #3  
I would not mess with it either...

/ Removing FOPS on L-39 #4  
SkyPup said:
My opinion too. Leave it that way to avoid structural integrity issues later.

/ Removing FOPS on L-39 #5  
Danny,
Why don't you just add limb risers to your FOPS. They are bars that go from the front of the tractor (grill guard?) to the top of the FOPS. That is the way most forestry tractors are equipped.

/ Removing FOPS on L-39 #6  
I'll disagree with the others, Danny, and say, go ahead and mess with it. My folding ROPS is down all the time on the L4300 and gone from the B7610 because I operate around trees, lots of 'em, all the time. I've operated tractors semi-continuously since the early 60's and don't think I operated anything with a ROPS until 2003. No rollovers in all that time. However, before removal, the ROPS was hanging up on limbs & branches and/or dropping them on my head.

Now the disclaimer:
Maybe I can get away with this and you can't. You should know that I am NOT a BRAVE PERSON. If the tractor might get tippy, I try to avoid going there. If I must go there, I go very slowly paying close attention to what the tractor's trying to tell me. First sign of trouble, I stop and slowly back out. I don't charge through grassy fields which might hide hidden obstructions or gopher holes; I go through them slowly watching what's ahead of the wheels. I get antsy as heck when the FEL lifts a load above the radiator cap. I do other cowardly things as well. Because I'm such a coward, I've reached Social Security Age without ever wearing a bicycle helmet. I survived childhood without a child seat because my parents were cowardly (but courteous) drivers.

If you are a BRAVE PERSON and can't leave the BRAVE in the barn when you get on the tractor, then you'd better leave everything alone.

Flame suit on.
(Cowardly) Bob

/ Removing FOPS on L-39 #7  
SkyPup said:

Argee, and I am one crazy that does not listen till I am proved wrong.

Sounds like a real bad idea.

Move the lights or armor them.

/ Removing FOPS on L-39 #8  
Not to mention that your dealer may refuse to repair it without all safety related items intact (liability issues:eek: ).

/ Removing FOPS on L-39 #9  
I wouldn't remove the FOPS. Not for the role over issues but for the protection from above. The have been several times that a large "widow maker" has woken me up as it hit the roof instead of my head.

/ Removing FOPS on L-39
Thanks, guys.

In retrospect, I suppose it's an interesting idea but a stupid question. Kubota simply says, "We can give no advice on such an issue since the FOPS is there for the protection of our customers." They didn't answer my question about whether the FOPS adds to the structural integrity of the loader.

Maybe I'll just remove the lights. The FOPS seems to me to be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it could rotect you from falling limbs, widow-makers, etc. On the other hand, while the operator is watching the grapple up front, the FOPS could catch on a branch and start pulling it along, leading to undesirable consequences.

"Limb risers" are an interesting thought. Any pictures of these?

Thanks,
Danny