Ballast How much weight for a ballast on a B3030HSDC

/ How much weight for a ballast on a B3030HSDC #1  

teeravis1

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4044R
Hey All - I want to build myself a 3 point ballast this spring. Does anyone know what the correct weight should be for a B3030HSDC? If anyone has any good ideas on how to make one, or has one they made, I'ld like to hear about them. Thanks

/ How much weight for a ballast on a B3030HSDC #2  
I will leave the additional pictures to the B series owners. However for reference, I use between 350 and 400lbs on the rear of my bx1500 which does not have near the loader capcity of your 3030. I would say 800lbs would work better for serious loader work.

/ How much weight for a ballast on a B3030HSDC #3  
Weight centered on the 3pt hitch arms will have the effect of 1.5 times weight at the rear wheels according to my Ford manual due to the leverage of the length of the arms. Ford told me to ballast so that between the weight added by filling the tires and 1.5 times the weight added on the 3pt hitch equaled the max load that I wanted to lift.

Andy

/ How much weight for a ballast on a B3030HSDC #4  
teeravis1 said:
Hey All - I want to build myself a 3 point ballast this spring. Does anyone know what the correct weight should be for a B3030HSDC? If anyone has any good ideas on how to make one, or has one they made, I'ld like to hear about them. Thanks

Ive got somewhere between 250-300 pounds in my wight box. But its based on WHAT you are going to try and lift...NOT the lift capacity of the FEL. The bucket capacity is small enough that unless you have a concrete truck dumping wet cement into it...its not all that much

A super heaping load of fine gravel....just spills out when you try and carry it any distance..as an example. I ONCE had a heaped load of damp..??..topsoil in it ( WET topsoil actually) that I couldnt shake any loose ( it clung together like putty) that got close to the "weight limit" and the rear end was a little light...but didnt come off the ground or anything like that.

The bucket capacity is a little less than 9 cu ft...so just round it off to 9 and multiply that times the weight of the material ( you can find that various places on the internet) As one poster replied...do the math at "1.5 times the real weight". The Kubota weight box for a B3030 isnt nearly as large as you might think...physically large that is.

/ How much weight for a ballast on a B3030HSDC #5  
Andy's recommendation is a good one. Considering your loader can lift around 800lbs and loader itself weighs around 500lbs I bet, 800lbs would be a safe weight. Attached is a picture of Timber's homemade ballast. It is inexpensive and easy to make. He uses it on a B7800 (very similar is size a wieght to your 3030).

Attachments

• Timber's Ballast 800lbs.jpg
    Timber's Ballast 800lbs.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 445
   / How much weight for a ballast on a B3030HSDC #6  
I found that it performs well enough when I have my backhoe BH75 mounted on. I have a rear ballast box full of cement (weights around 500 lbs) and it's really not enough. I hate doing some loader work with that ballast, the rear tires tend to spin to much. I don't know the weight of a BH75 (a B4672 weights 851 lbs) it might be around 800 or 850 lbs. IMHO a good ballast for a B3030 would be no less than 800 lbs.

/ How much weight for a ballast on a B3030HSDC #8  
I have a B8160 Rear Ballast Box for my B7510 and it says add 350 lbs for BX series tractors and 500lbs for B series tractors. Not sure if this is the right size for the B3030. I think Kubota makes a bigger one for larger tractors like the B3030 but don't quote me on it.

/ How much weight for a ballast on a B3030HSDC #9  
Timber said:
Yup I find that wt just about perfect

Timber,
Hope you don't mind me using your picture. It seemed to fit.:)