Why no more free Parts Manuals?

/ Why no more free Parts Manuals? #1  

alchemysa

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B1550HSD
The site below used to be a link to download Kubuta parts manuals for free. Dozens of parts manuals were available and it was an excellent resource. (Especially if, like me, you'd have to wait a month to get a printed manual). All you had to do was click the green arrow and pick your model. No passwords or usernames were needed. But for about a month now the site has been unresponsive. I tried emailing mediamax for a comment but got no answer. I can't help thinking the Kubota dealer members on this list know something about it. I dont think I ever saw them post the link when someone needed advice. Perhaps now they've put the heat on Kubota (or whoever was maintaining the site) to stop giving away something for free that they could sell?

MediaMax, powered by Streamload - Free Online Storage - Share Videos and Photos - Online MP3 Access

/ Why no more free Parts Manuals? #2  
My assumption is that Kubota Lawyers found out about it and put the Kabosh on it. As you say, why let someone give away what you are trying to sell for $100 a copy?

jb

/ Why no more free Parts Manuals?
jb. My local dealer knew about the site and didnt seemed concerned. I think he thought it was good that buyers knew exactly what they wanted before they came into the shop. The range of parts manuals was so extensive that I find it hard to believe it was maintained by someone outside of the Kubota organisation. On the other hand if Kubota wants us to have access to these manuals why arent they available straight off the official Kubota site? Perhaps it was a 'dealer only' library we weren't even supposed to know about.

/ Why no more free Parts Manuals? #4  
Could be. WE may never know.

However, I will be knowledgeable on what parts are on my tractor or loader (wink).

jb

/ Why no more free Parts Manuals? #5  
It "appears" that manuals are still available on TractorSmart, though I didn't actually test it, as I already got mine from there ...

/ Why no more free Parts Manuals? #6  
I have gotten manuals for all my Kubotas from TractorSmart.
Very handy to have!

JLoaf said:
I have gotten manuals for all my Kubotas from TractorSmart. Very handy to have!

OK then, if Tractorsmart are still handing them out for free I'll assume theres no copyright issue.

So I've started a new library at Mediamax called...
http://www.mediamax.com/kubotabooks

I've already uploaded a few parts catalogues I collected over the last 12 months. Anyone can view and instantly DOWNLOAD them by clicking the above link, then the green arrow. (You don't need passwords)

You can also UPLOAD any suitable material to this same library by going to...

http://www.mediamax.com/

Click the link that says 'Upload files to MediaMax Users'...

(It'll take you to this address..
http://upload.mediamax.com/Upload/Upload.aspx?AskForUsername=true)

Next type " kubotabooks " into the username.

Use 'SINGLE FILE UPLOAD'. DO NOT CLICK THE 'MULTI-FILE UPLOAD'. THE 'SINGLE FILE UPLOAD' WILL ALLOW YOU TO ADD A NUMBER OF FILES.

Use the 'Browse' or 'Choose 'button to find the file on your computer. Once you have found your file, press 'Open'.
When you have finished compiling the list of files you wish to upload press 'Upload'

Unfortunately your uploaded files won't go directly to the public 'hosted' area of kubotabooks. Your files will initially go into a 'File Manager', so I'll have to log in once a day to move the files into the hosted area for all to see.

Regarding file names: Files appear in mediamax in alphbetical order. Please bear that in mind if you have changed the file name. Strict adherence to tractor model numbers is probably the best and simplest method to follow.

(Note. I've found that uploading and downloading from Mediamax does not work when using Explorer on an Apple. But Safari and Firefox are fine. Explorer is OK on a PC.)

Please feel free to comment about this concept.

You can also UPLOAD any suitable material to this same library by going to... [url said:
http://www.mediamax.com/[/url] .

One thing I forgot to mention is that because its a 'web upload' not an email, theres no clue as to the source of the upload. Its entirely anonymous.