Putting the BX deck back on

/ Putting the BX deck back on #1  

Botabill

Platinum Member
Probably more important to the new BX owner is making sure the mowing deck is put on correctly. If you don't get the sleeve attached correctly to the power take off you may have some very expensive repairs. It cost me $150 dollars when the sleeve wasn't attached properly and it got chewed up when it spun around loose under the tractor. I don't think my dealer impressed upon me strongly enough the importance of this part of the operation. Anyone else have damage done this way?

/ Putting the BX deck back on #2  
No, but you made it pretty clear that I will double check real well before I test it.

/ Putting the BX deck back on #3  
When I first started looking at the BX 24, I asked what the drawbacks to the tractor were and the dealer was upfront with me, thats why I like that dealer, and he said exactly what had happened to you. Said that it was a little expensive to repair. To make you feel better, the dealer made it sound as if this has happened more than just once.

/ Putting the BX deck back on #4  
I have removed the deck on my bx many times, however every time I connect that spindle, I tug on the shaft a few good times to really make sure it locked. Call me over cautious, but I do not want to mess with that shaft spinned loose at 2200rpm.:eek:

/ Putting the BX deck back on #5  
It's always a good idea to either spray the mid pto shaft down with WD-40 or 3 in 1 oil or wipe it with some oil when the MMM shaft is removed from the pto. This makes reassembly a WHOLE lot easier.

Sometimes it's hard to hear that"click" when the collar snaps back so it's always a good habit to tug on the MMM shaft a couple times to make sure it's locked in place. Have no fear as once that shaft is locked in place it ain't comeing off, as evidenced by how much fun it is to remove :D

I've found that it's easier to connect the shaft before I hookup the linkages.

/ Putting the BX deck back on #6  
After i reinstalled the deck on my BX2200 I apparantly did not get the PTO shaft back on correctly.......... End result was shaft flying off while mowing, taking the hydraulic filter with it and all the Hydro fluid. No steering, no movement. I got off lucky thou, it could have cratered the casing. But instead all i needed was a new filter and couple gallons of oil.

/ Putting the BX deck back on #7  
I just posted this the other day on the "removing mower deck thread" and it is timely, so I am copying it here.
-----------------------------------
Oh Yeah... Stupid things to do!!!!!
Ask me about that one. I tore a ligament in my bicep while trying to lift one side of the mower deck to lean it against the shed wall.(the wheels started to roll). So my good left arm was in a lot of pain (Left-handed).
Anyways When I got back to deciding to put it back on a week later, I couldn't do much with my left arm so I had to use my right hand to put the collar back on.
Everything was fine the first spin around my 4 acres, but then I hit a bump and the tractor slowed and I heard the mower stop. I turned off the engine and hopped off on the loader control side, catching my pant leg and dumping face first onto the ground. (Neighbor watching, of course).
I righted myself and realize there is a huge puddle of some kind of light clear oil all over the mower deck and that the shaft is now laying on top of the mower deck. Now I am worried!!!!

I roll the tractor off the bump and out of the puddle of hydro fluid and look under the tractor. At that point I realized just how **** lucky I was, torn bicep, falling flat on my face and all....
The shaft tore through the hydro fluid filter, almost shearing off the end of the filter. Nothing else was damaged, save some 1/16" deep scratches on the collar housing.
I went to my local stealership (Canns Bilco)and bought 2gallons of hydro and a new filter.
Asked the counter jerk if they had ever had problem with the collars not being connected right and spinning off. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said "we're not stupid enough here to do it wrong".
I left and never went back. I now either go to TSC or the other Kubota Dealer down near Pipersville, PA. or Powerco in Clinton NJ. Much better service and they don't treat you like an idiot (Even if you do something stupid) :)

Last edited:
   / Putting the BX deck back on #8  
rixtory said:
I now either go to TSC or the other Kubota Dealer down near Pipersville, PA. or Powerco in Clinton NJ. Much better service and they don't treat you like an idiot (Even if you do something stupid) :)

The Pipersville dealer is where I bought my tractor. He's easily an hour ride from here. My closest dealer in New Berlinville would not budge on price at the time I purchased.