Why do I have a work light fuse, but no work light?

/ Why do I have a work light fuse, but no work light? #1  

StrangeRanger

Gold Member
Tractor
L3400 HST
Did they just put the 10A fuse in there and label it so I wouldn't put a bigger fuse in there myself?
This is on a 3400 HST, fuse spot #2 is labeled as "Work Light", has a 10A fuse, but I have no work light, yet. I should have checked the rating before buying some lamps b/c now I'll have to add my own 15A line for my lights. Grrr...
j

/ Why do I have a work light fuse, but no work light? #2  
If you want to wire a separate circuit for worklights rather than use the one Kubota provided go ahead, many people have. The provided wire is sufficient for the Kubota optional rear worklight. In case you don't know, the wire is under the seat.

Unless you have the high capacity alternator (or whatever they call it) be careful about operating too many lights at once.

/ Why do I have a work light fuse, but no work light? #3  
The Kubota fuse / wire is for the optional *light*. They figure you'll only want one :p.

Your tractor probably is big enough that it can handle plenty of lights. My B7300 can hardly handle the stock headlights (it doesn't even have an alternator - it uses a dynamo). The larger machines are usually much better off in the electricity generating business.

/ Why do I have a work light fuse, but no work light? #4  
Golight® Remote Controlled Searchlights and Spotlights, I am in the process of adding a Golight remote controlled searchlight to the M7040 cab model. It only draws about 5 amps and generates 500,000 lumens light intensity. Fabicating a bracket that will mount it instead of one of the four fixed lights that came originally with the tractor. See the link above for information on these high quality lights. This will make it very convinient to do chores when dark since with the remote in the pocket I can reposition the light to exactly where I want it. More on the installation later.

/ Why do I have a work light fuse, but no work light? #5  
Golights look great but how expensive are they? No prices up on the web site - or I missed them.

/ Why do I have a work light fuse, but no work light? #7  
Completed the installation of the Golight yesterday. Looks great and works really well with the remote control. Built an 8 by 7 by 3/16 inch platform mounted to where the left front cab light used to be. Reinforced it with a 1 1/2 by 1/4 inch flat bar welded under the plate and bolted to the mirror bracket. This makes it very sturdy. Used the original power supply already there and hooked it up to the search light. Since it is operated with the remote control there is no other wiring to install. All I have to do is turn on the front worklight with the original switch inside the cab and the remote control will turn on the Golight, swivel it any which way I want either slow or at fast speed. Got this one on sale at Cabelas store in WV for 168 dollars.

/ Why do I have a work light fuse, but no work light? #8  
m7040 said:
Completed the installation of the Golight yesterday. Looks great and works really well with the remote control.

How about making the rest of us jealous of you by posting a couple of great photos?

/ Why do I have a work light fuse, but no work light?
I found some nice lights at West Marine that were pretty cheap, $33. They're nice too, 55W halogen docking lights that are completely weather proof and come complete with stainless hardware.

Hung them up on the ROPS, one faces forward, one face back and down. What an amazing difference for night work! W00t!!

Only bummer was they came w/ a 15A fuse so I didn't want to use the "stock" fuse block set up. No biggie though, only took about 15 minutes to wire them up. All is good.
j

/ Why do I have a work light fuse, but no work light? #10  
StrangeRanger,

The lights you installed sound good.

I retract my previous statement that Kubota thought 10A was sufficient.

I just had reason to look at the fuse block in my manual and it shows a 20A circuit for the worklight for the B7800. Are you sure yours is a 10A? - your tractor is probably larger than mine.