Oil & Fuel Oil Level Question

/ Oil Level Question #1  

kubotahoo

I changed oil in my L2050 today. The manuel says it takes 6.7 qts.. I added 6.0 qts.(Thats all I had) The oil level is showing about 3/8 in. above the full mark. Does anyone know what's going on with this. Thanks

/ Oil Level Question #2  
You never get all the oil out when you change it. What you have experienced is quite normal.

/ Oil Level Question #3  
If you didn't change your filter that would explain it. It is also true that you don't ever get all the oil out. I am not familiar with your particular model but on some of the larger series tractors (the larger "M"s, for sure) there are *two* oil drain plugs (there's a baffle in the oil pan to keep the engine from starving on slopes). Could yours be one of them types?

Even if you don't solve your mystery, you should drain the extra oil out. No, there isn't a non-messy way to do it unless you pump it out of the dipstick hole. Too much oil can bust seals - seen it happen at work, where not everyone is especially skilled at equipment maintenance (or doesn't care).

/ Oil Level Question #4  
If you did change your filter but you hadn't started the tractor yet when you checked the oil then the level might be high because the filter is still empty,and after running the filter will fill up.

/ Oil Level Question #5  
I agree with all the above posts. When I'm changing oil I never just put in the amount that is stated on the capacity and THEN check it. For example, if my capacity is stated as 5.5 quarts I may put in 4 quarts, then check the level, then keep adding as needed.

To reiterate a couple of points:
  • If you didn't change the filter you left behind quite a bit of oil, dirty oil at that. IMO changing the oil without changing the filter is like cleaning a poopy baby's butt and then putting the poopy diaper back on.
  • Some of them DO have two oil drain plugs. My M7040 does.
  • Take out the excess oil, it could create too much pressure.

If you didn't change your filter when changing the oil if it were me I'd just drain all that oil out and change the filter and oil again. That way you've gotten rid of that excess oil and gotten a rid of that dirty filter with dirty oil in it too.

/ Oil Level Question #6  
If you have 2 drain plugs, don't you have to get the level close, then start it up for a minute to even out the oil level, then check again. My 2800 was overfilled from the dealer. I drained some out of the dipstick side, then started it up for a minute, then checked the dipstick again to see the exact oil level.

/ Oil Level Question
I did change the filter with the oil change. I ran the tractor a couple minutes afterwards. Discovered it was overfull the next day. I'll drain some oil and keep an eye on it. Thanks for all your help. <><

/ Oil Level Question #8  
Hi! Everyboby. My opinion! Motor or tractor must be at Level on ground. Always run motor for five minutes before check oil. A just running motor the level oil is good at line. When motor is stopped for a long time the level go up a little bit . and when you start and running the level go down. All is normal Good luck! Oldmech

/ Oil Level Question #9  
My 4630 calls for 9.7 quarts, when I change the oil and filter it takes about eight quarts.

/ Oil Level Question #10  
I was quite surprised too when I first changed the oil in my former BX23. Same thing with my B3030. The oil capacity indicated in the manual is... I don't know, I don't take it very seriously. When I change oil in my cars (Acura TL and RDX) the capacity indicated in the manual is exactly what is needed. It never happened that way with my tractors.