How many Hrs can you put on a Kubota?

/ How many Hrs can you put on a Kubota? #11  
Highflier said:
Thanks. I've looked for reasons to move to a newer model but this one does what I need every time I turn the key.

Watch out, don't let the horsepower junkies on TBN get to you.:D

/ How many Hrs can you put on a Kubota? #12  
TBO that I heard of was between 5000 and 6000 hours but it's obvious that with good maintenance and a bit of luck you can go far beyond that. I'm at two months and 10 hours :D!!

/ How many Hrs can you put on a Kubota? #13  
IslandTractor said:
Watch out, don't let the horsepower junkies on TBN get to you.:D

Gosh, I just saw a Ford 8N on Ebay with a flathead V8 conversion. How hard could it be to shovel a small V8 in a B series Kubota? If the front end were lengthened, the Cummins diesel outa my Dodge might fit :D

/ How many Hrs can you put on a Kubota? #14  
RobertN said:
Gosh, I just saw a Ford 8N on Ebay with a flathead V8 conversion. How hard could it be to shovel a small V8 in a B series Kubota? If the front end were lengthened, the Cummins diesel outa my Dodge might fit :D

First you should try to turbocharge the Kubota!:eek:

/ How many Hrs can you put on a Kubota? #15  
My b7100 has 3881 hours. Dunno about quality of maintenance before me, I am the third owner and it still runs strong. I know the first owner had recently replaced the tires, worked on the diff lock and front axle/4wd, replaced the brakes and misc. other stuff (have all the receipts), I replaced the clutch. Runs great for something that is around 25 years old. Gear tranny sucks for loader work as does 'Armstrong Steering' but I don't think having those things is worth the $10,000+ I would probably owe if I traded it in on something brand new. ;)

/ How many Hrs can you put on a Kubota? #16  
The little tractors (no insult intended, mine is in the same category) spin the engines up around 2600-2800 rpms and the clock is calibrated for that speed. Compare that to an old (or larger) tractor that has much lower rpm power band. My 1963 ford has PTO speed at 1515 rpm and my Kubota has PTO at 2600 rpm. The kubota will rack up more engine revolutions in few clock hours as a result. The old rule of thumb is at least 5000 hours to a refresh (rings/bearings replaced in-frame) and 10,000 to a rebuild. That might be 3500 and 7000 on a smaller engine that spins higher.

Then again, there hasn't been enough time to determine real use life. WIth the better mfg processes used today, it could be 2x that!

Most important maintenance item on a tractor is the air filter. Dirty air will abrade the cylinders and rings FAST resulting in poor cylinder sealing and a needed rebuild.

/ How many Hrs can you put on a Kubota? #17  
john_bud said:
Most important maintenance item on a tractor is the air filter. Dirty air will abrade the cylinders and rings FAST resulting in poor cylinder sealing and a needed rebuild.

Good point. There isn't much discussion of that issue on TBN. All the effort seems to go into selecting the world's most perfect lubricant.

On my tractor as I recall the maintenance of the air filter at least during the first 150 hrs is just to blow it out when changing oil. Are there any premium filters worth investigating? I believe mine has a prefilter and a main filter. I'll give it more attention with the next oil change and especially before the dusty mowing season starts this summer.

/ How many Hrs can you put on a Kubota? #18  
Donny if you were closer to New Hampshire I would just tell you to donate the tractor and I would come and pick it up, then you could go out and get a new model! I believe you will run out of wax before that tractor needs to be replaced.

My last tractor was an L-235 DT (1981) which I paid $2,200 for in 1993 and sold to my neighbor last year for $1,950. I think if I held out I could of gotten $2,200 for it as I had it listed for $2,400.

Only thing I ever did to it was change oil and filters and replaced the front tires. He still has it and has done nothing to it since I sold it to him. Keep in mind it is over 25 years old! Not sure of the hours as the meter was broken when I bought it.

I have an 02 7500 with around 235 hours and expect to have it as my last small tractor. Now if the wife wanted me to trade it in for a Grand L it would be gone.

Wayne

/ How many Hrs can you put on a Kubota? #19  
The old rule of thumb is at least 5000 hours to a refresh (rings/bearings replaced in-frame) and 10,000 to a rebuild. That might be 3500 and 7000 on a smaller engine that spins higher.

I recall that we used to think that way when the 4 cylinder invasion hit our shores back in the 70's. We just knew that those little 4 bangers were gonna wear out way before our big V8's would.

From this past experience, it's apparant that engines that are designed and built to work at higher RPM's don't wear out any quicker than engines that are designed and built to work at lower RPM's.
In some cases, I've seen documentation that operating an engine at lower RPM than it's designed operating RPM will cause premature bearing wear and increase oil consumption. And we all know that an engine thats run over it's red line won't last very long :D

/ How many Hrs can you put on a Kubota? #20  
That is an interesting point. When talk moves to pickups with diesels, a lot of folks have been talking about the factory air filters being better filters than many of the aftermarket high-flow types.

IslandTractor said:
Good point. There isn't much discussion of that issue on TBN. All the effort seems to go into selecting the world's most perfect lubricant.

On my tractor as I recall the maintenance of the air filter at least during the first 150 hrs is just to blow it out when changing oil. Are there any premium filters worth investigating? I believe mine has a prefilter and a main filter. I'll give it more attention with the next oil change and especially before the dusty mowing season starts this summer.