Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter

/ Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter #1  

Waterlogged

Tractor
Kubota B7100 4wd
Just picked up a B7100 that came with a Kubota branded screw style wood splitter. Has anyone every used one? Are they safe or is that why Kubota (and apparently everyone else) no longer makes them? Thanks all.

/ Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter #2  
Pictures are cool. We love pictures.

In trying to figure out what the heck a "screw style wood splitter" is, I found a web site for a device that somehow looks inherently unsafe. Check this out:

The Stickler - The Most Efficient Log Splitter Ever Designed

I can see how it could by "safer" (reduction of crushing injuries on poorly placed fingers and the like), but a dude out in a field sitting on a stump with a truck RUNNING AND IN GEAR on a jackstand on soft ground and a rotating steel-tipped cone pointed directly at his groin? Dunno. Don't think I'd try it.

Of course if you had one of these things connected to a PTO on a stable tractor, I could get into that. But it'd probably worry about the chunk of wood spinning around and clubbing me in the temple. And the wood probably has to be as dry as an Engineer's Improv Comedian Club (EICC) weekly meeting.

Besides that, I can't help you a lick. Usually, when folks stop building something, that means the lawyers got a hold of it.

Another tid-bit: During my search, I found "rules" for using a splitter...one of them was "Don't straddle the splitter while in use." Some folks out there that aren't too bright, huh?

/ Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter
The B310 has a stop arm designed to prevent the log from turning in contrast to the "spinomatic" in the link you provided. I'll include a picture when I have a minute.

/ Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter #4  
I used one of these units (Kubota unit) for years on a B7100D tractor. It work very well and split many cords of mine and neigbhors wood. It was a bit tricky for the operator, but if you used it at the speed that they recommend it was safe. It was when we wanted to get the job done quicker and increased the rpm's it got a bit tricky. To my knowledge that unit is still being used by the third person after me. It was alot quicker than the hydrulic splitters that I've used. :)
The Gotcha man

/ Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter #5  
Just picked up a B7100 that came with a Kubota branded screw style wood splitter. Has anyone every used one? Are they safe or is that why Kubota (and apparently everyone else) no longer makes them? Thanks all.

I bought one recently, and have been using it for a few months. While it makes me nervous, it works pretty well on my B7100. I have bound it up once on a large log, and had to use a chain saw to cut it free. Other than that, I have gone through of couple of cords of red oak from a couple of trees that fell. It does not make nice, smooth splits, but it sure is fast.

kubotalogsplitter.jpg

/ Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter #7  
Man, I want one of those! That looks awesome! Simple concept, no hydraulics to mess with. A bit on the deadly side if used by a person who is not aware of the dangers, but at the same time I bet it is very effective. If I ever run across one on craigslist or something around here, I'll grab it!

/ Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter #8  
Not for me - I can see lots of "oops I slipped" problems" which could be fatal if you are out in the bush.

/ Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter #9  
Not for me - I can see lots of "oops I slipped" problems" which could be fatal if you are out in the bush.

I can see a lot of those with a regular wood splitter, too. I've used a screw type, and I think they are slick. I guess it must be the appearance that scares some folks off.

/ Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter #10  
That thing looks more dangerous than crapping in well.

On another note - I need to remember that one! LOL

While I know they work great and are simple, I'm with oosik that one slip and your toast.
Be careful!