Tractor
    Kubota B7100 4wd

Default Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter

Just picked up a B7100 that came with a kubota branded screw style wood splitter. Has anyone every used one? Are they safe or is that why Kubota (and apparently everyone else) no longer makes them? Thanks all.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Default Re: Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter

Pictures are cool. We love pictures.

In trying to figure out what the heck a "screw style wood splitter" is, I found a web site for a device that somehow looks inherently unsafe. Check this out:

The Stickler - The Most Efficient Log Splitter Ever Designed

I can see how it could by "safer" (reduction of crushing injuries on poorly placed fingers and the like), but a dude out in a field sitting on a stump with a truck RUNNING AND IN GEAR on a jackstand on soft ground and a rotating steel-tipped cone pointed directly at his groin? Dunno. Don't think I'd try it.

Of course if you had one of these things connected to a PTO on a stable tractor, I could get into that. But it'd probably worry about the chunk of wood spinning around and clubbing me in the temple. And the wood probably has to be as dry as an Engineer's Improv Comedian Club (EICC) weekly meeting.

Besides that, I can't help you a lick. Usually, when folks stop building something, that means the lawyers got a hold of it.

Another tid-bit: During my search, I found "rules" for using a splitter...one of them was "Don't straddle the splitter while in use." Some folks out there that aren't too bright, huh?
    Kubota BX2230, FEL, Woods BH, 60" MMM, Bagger, 4' Box Blade, PHD, 8' x 20' 10k# Dovetail Trailer

Those of you who think you know it all are particularly annoying to those of us who do.

Tractor
    Kubota B7100 4wd

The B310 has a stop arm designed to prevent the log from turning in contrast to the "spinomatic" in the link you provided. I'll include a picture when I have a minute.

Tractor
    (07) B26, (83) B7100D

I used one of these units (kubota unit) for years on a B7100D tractor. It work very well and split many cords of mine and neigbhors wood. It was a bit tricky for the operator, but if you used it at the speed that they recommend it was safe. It was when we wanted to get the job done quicker and increased the rpm's it got a bit tricky. To my knowledge that unit is still being used by the third person after me. It was alot quicker than the hydrulic splitters that I've used.
    The Gotcha man

(07) Kubota B26-(83)Kubota B7100D-(09) Chevy 1500 Silverado Z71 4X4 LTZ ext cab-(07) Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab 4X4 LTZ-(07)Cub Cadet 1046-Troy-Built 8.5 HP Vac/Chipper-Agri-fab plug aerator 48"-48" Agri-fab tine de-thatcher-Agri-fab Mow-N-Vac-Agri-fab Pro spiker/seeder 175# cap.-(06)5 ton 10PI18 Big Tex flat bed trailer-(07)TR6810L5 5 ton Down East dump trailer-(07)35SA10 Big Tex utility trailer-Tow behind 10 HP 4-way log splitter