Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100 4wd

Default Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter

Just picked up a B7100 that came with a kubota branded screw style wood splitter. Has anyone every used one? Are they safe or is that why Kubota (and apparently everyone else) no longer makes them? Thanks all.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Default Re: Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter

Pictures are cool. We love pictures.

In trying to figure out what the heck a "screw style wood splitter" is, I found a web site for a device that somehow looks inherently unsafe. Check this out:

The Stickler - The Most Efficient Log Splitter Ever Designed

I can see how it could by "safer" (reduction of crushing injuries on poorly placed fingers and the like), but a dude out in a field sitting on a stump with a truck RUNNING AND IN GEAR on a jackstand on soft ground and a rotating steel-tipped cone pointed directly at his groin? Dunno. Don't think I'd try it.

Of course if you had one of these things connected to a PTO on a stable tractor, I could get into that. But it'd probably worry about the chunk of wood spinning around and clubbing me in the temple. And the wood probably has to be as dry as an Engineer's Improv Comedian Club (EICC) weekly meeting.

Besides that, I can't help you a lick. Usually, when folks stop building something, that means the lawyers got a hold of it.

Another tid-bit: During my search, I found "rules" for using a splitter...one of them was "Don't straddle the splitter while in use." Some folks out there that aren't too bright, huh?
    Kubota BX2230, FEL, Woods BH, 60" MMM, Bagger, 4' Box Blade, PHD, 8' x 20' 10k# Dovetail Trailer

Those of you who think you know it all are particularly annoying to those of us who do.

Tractor
    Kubota B7100 4wd

The B310 has a stop arm designed to prevent the log from turning in contrast to the "spinomatic" in the link you provided. I'll include a picture when I have a minute.

Tractor
    (07) B26, (83) B7100D

I used one of these units (kubota unit) for years on a B7100D tractor. It work very well and split many cords of mine and neigbhors wood. It was a bit tricky for the operator, but if you used it at the speed that they recommend it was safe. It was when we wanted to get the job done quicker and increased the rpm's it got a bit tricky. To my knowledge that unit is still being used by the third person after me. It was alot quicker than the hydrulic splitters that I've used.
    The Gotcha man

(07) Kubota B26-(83)Kubota B7100D-(09) Chevy 1500 Silverado Z71 4X4 LTZ ext cab-(07) Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab 4X4 LTZ-(07)Cub Cadet 1046-Troy-Built 8.5 HP Vac/Chipper-Agri-fab plug aerator 48"-48" Agri-fab tine de-thatcher-Agri-fab Mow-N-Vac-Agri-fab Pro spiker/seeder 175# cap.-(06)5 ton 10PI18 Big Tex flat bed trailer-(07)TR6810L5 5 ton Down East dump trailer-(07)35SA10 Big Tex utility trailer-Tow behind 10 HP 4-way log splitter

Tractor
    Kubota B7100

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Just picked up a B7100 that came with a kubota branded screw style wood splitter. Has anyone every used one? Are they safe or is that why Kubota (and apparently everyone else) no longer makes them? Thanks all.
    I bought one recently, and have been using it for a few months. While it makes me nervous, it works pretty well on my B7100. I have bound it up once on a large log, and had to use a chain saw to cut it free. Other than that, I have gone through of couple of cords of red oak from a couple of trees that fell. It does not make nice, smooth splits, but it sure is fast.

Kubota B310 Screw Wood Splitter-kubotalogsplitter-jpg

That thing looks more dangerous than crapping in well.

Tractor
    2013 Kubota BX25, Craftsman Excellerator GT (2010)

Man, I want one of those! That looks awesome! Simple concept, no hydraulics to mess with. A bit on the deadly side if used by a person who is not aware of the dangers, but at the same time I bet it is very effective. If I ever run across one on craigslist or something around here, I'll grab it!
    2013 Kubota BX25 TLB - Back Blade, Titan 48' Box Blade, Skid Steer digging tooth bar.
    2010 Craftsman Excellerator GT, 26HP Kohler Courage / Hydro Gear G730,54" Deck, chains and wheel weights.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660 Sport SE (Liquid Metal Wrap).
    Stihl 026 saw.
    Woods HLS27 27 Ton Log Splitter with 4-way splitting blade.

Tractor
    Kubota M6040

Not for me - I can see lots of "oops I slipped" problems" which could be fatal if you are out in the bush.
    Ride hard or sit your butt on the porch

"isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Silver Member George the Beagle's Avatar
    Tractor
    BX 1860 traded for BX 2370

Quote Originally Posted by oosik View Post
    Not for me - I can see lots of "oops I slipped" problems" which could be fatal if you are out in the bush.
    I can see a lot of those with a regular wood splitter, too. I've used a screw type, and I think they are slick. I guess it must be the appearance that scares some folks off.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D, Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853 (on order), MULE FXT Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Homeline View Post
    That thing looks more dangerous than crapping in well.
    On another note - I need to remember that one! LOL

While I know they work great and are simple, I'm with oosik that one slip and your toast.
    Be careful!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast