Hydraulic filter damaged

/ Hydraulic filter damaged #1  

Cade

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2650GST
I am trying to do all the fluid changes and I am quickly learing that it sometimes doesn't pay to buy used. The previous owner was a mechanic and owns his own shop, which is scary. It is obvious that he was lazy with the work that he did do to the Kubota. AN example is the 'O" rings were missing on the fuel filter, the rubber gasket for the air filter was missing etc. I am patiently waiting for the O rings (on order) so that I can use the Bota. I went out and bought a new filter wrench (looks like a pliers) figuring that the filters weren't changed recently. The hydraulic paper filter-no problem, the hydraulic filter doesn't budge. I am not weak by any means and in fact i ended up crushing the filter. The wrench can't get a decent bite on the filter now. ANYONE have any ideas? The only thing I was thinking is drilling a hole through the filter and then sticking a screwdriver through both holes and trying to turn it that way. Oh yeah, I also sprayed it w/ wd40 to let it soak for a while pryer to even trying it.

/ Hydraulic filter damaged #2  
Cade said:
I am trying to do all the fluid changes and I am quickly learing that it sometimes doesn't pay to buy used. The previous owner was a mechanic and owns his own shop, which is scary. It is obvious that he was lazy with the work that he did do to the Kubota. AN example is the 'O" rings were missing on the fuel filter, the rubber gasket for the air filter was missing etc. I am patiently waiting for the O rings (on order) so that I can use the Bota. I went out and bought a new filter wrench (looks like a pliers) figuring that the filters weren't changed recently. The hydraulic paper filter-no problem, the hydraulic filter doesn't budge. I am not weak by any means and in fact i ended up crushing the filter. The wrench can't get a decent bite on the filter now. ANYONE have any ideas? The only thing I was thinking is drilling a hole through the filter and then sticking a screwdriver through both holes and trying to turn it that way. Oh yeah, I also sprayed it w/ wd40 to let it soak for a while pryer to even trying it.

I've wrenched em' off with a large channel lock before.

/ Hydraulic filter damaged #3  
I use the screw drive trick!
Hammer and screw drive should do it!

/ Hydraulic filter damaged
Oky, I will try the hammer/ screwdriver idea. If that doesnt work then what?

/ Hydraulic filter damaged #5  
pemad said:
I use the screw drive trick!
Hammer and screw drive should do it!

DON'T use the screw driver trick, unless all else has failed. Then don't drill a hole thru it. Use a chisel and hammer and tap drive it off. First on one side then on the other.

The HST filter has a machined aluminum base. Use a strap wrench on it down close to the base. If the strap slips, I use adhesive backed sandpaper on the filter housing. (lefty loosey?)

You may also want to take off the air hose from the filter housing to the manifold and clean that out. Dirty air will wear the engine out FAST. It should be super duper clean inside that pipe. White glove clean. It does have the double filter setup, right?

jb

/ Hydraulic filter damaged #6  
I am no mechanic by any means. That is why I buy new. My mechanic buddies use ( I think it's called) "Master Blaster" spray. It loosens stuff up far better than anything I've ever used. NAPA sells it. I bet it will loosen the filter up. Good luck

RPK

john bud,

you are correct, negative on the double filter setup. I do not have a strap style wrench. You sound like you have more experience with this issue than me. Do you think I should try a strap wrench first? I have a hard time beleaving that the strap wrench would work when the one I bought didn't. I will try anythng.

rpk,
sounds like a plan. thanks.

/ Hydraulic filter damaged #9  
john_bud said:
DON'T use the screw driver trick, unless all else has failed. Then don't drill a hole thru it. Use a chisel and hammer and tap drive it off. First on one side then on the other.

The HST filter has a machined aluminum base. Use a strap wrench on it down close to the base. If the strap slips, I use adhesive backed sandpaper on the filter housing. (lefty loosey?)

You may also want to take off the air hose from the filter housing to the manifold and clean that out. Dirty air will wear the engine out FAST. It should be super duper clean inside that pipe. White glove clean. It does have the double filter setup, right?

jb

John Bud is right, a bite at the base with a heavy duty metal strap type wrench will work. I have had to use a cheater before.

/ Hydraulic filter damaged #10  
Try a cloth strap wrench before jabbing holes in it. Like was mentioned, put it close to the base, if it slips, wrap the filter in sandpaper. Cloth straps wont deform or pinch the filter like can happen with metal strap filter wrenches.
The lubricant/break free spray mentioned earlier is called PB Blaster. Its alot better then most of the shelf lubricants and cuts through rusted and stuck hardware much better than WD40.