another Kubota UDT vs TSC premium hydro fluid?

/ another Kubota UDT vs TSC premium hydro fluid? #1  

DVR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 cab, Kubota L3560LE cab, Kubota L3301
so i bought 10gals of TSC traveller premium fluid. it clearly states it is an equal for kubota udt on the pails.

i did a search, read countless threads and still find myself somewhat confused. the only real info i found was the price difference vs the cost of the machine justifies the kubota brand fluid. i bought all kubota brand filters. fwiw: this is a gear driven L3400

my friends who are farmers will use anything. they laugh at me when i mention the mfg specific fluid.

thanks in advance.

btw: i am aware of the fluids and lubrication forum. i placed this here b/c it is kubota specific

/ another Kubota UDT vs TSC premium hydro fluid? #2  
My dealer sells New Holland and Kubota tractors. When I go in to get fluid they sell me the New Holland Ambra fluid. They say that is all they use in the service department. They do not stock UDT or Super UDT.

As long as it meets industry standards, I think it is fine. If I needed more fluid than I do, I would probably buy 5 gal pails at Sam's myself.

/ another Kubota UDT vs TSC premium hydro fluid? #3  
If it meets manufacture spec… it meets manufactures spec.

There are a few people that suggest disputes with warranty claims is the reason to use manufactures oils, (disputes that have never taken place)… but then I guess you need to justify the large increase in price.
I also have used TSC premium hydro fluid in my Glide Shift Grand L … Works fine, never any problems.
My only consideration to change from TSC is to go with a real synthetic as I do see value in synthetic lubes… KennyV.

/ another Kubota UDT vs TSC premium hydro fluid? #4  
I only used SUDT in my L39 until 150 hours. At that time, for price reasons, I decided to use a universal hydraulic fluid from Walmart that stated on the tub it met Kubota UDT specs. The first time I drove the tractor after changing the fluid and filters I noticed the transmission (GST) shifts were much harsher. Also when shifting from forward to reverse the engagement was much harsher too. I drained the fluid out at 200 hours and replaced it with SUDT with new filters. My shifts went back to normal. No harsh engagement. Now was it the fluid, I believe so. The proof is in the shifting as they say.

/ another Kubota UDT vs TSC premium hydro fluid? #5  
On a gear drive or GST tractor is not nearly as obvious as in a hydrostatic. I've heard several people who can tell the difference between UDT and Super UDT when paying attention to hydro whine and smoothness. There are many UDT equilivants, but as far as I know there are few (maybe none) that match SUDT.

/ another Kubota UDT vs TSC premium hydro fluid? #6  
MessickFarmEqu said:
On a gear drive or GST tractor is not nearly as obvious as in a hydrostatic. I've heard several people who can tell the difference between UDT and Super UDT when paying attention to hydro whine and smoothness. There are many UDT equilivants, but as far as I know there are few (maybe none) that match SUDT.

When it comes time to replace the hydraulic fluid in my B7800 I will be using Kubota's Super UDT. Woodbury Tractor (Woodbury CT) recommends this based upon experience and overhauling equipment. So agreeing with Messick Farms and their experience there is no need for me to experiment with other brands to save a few dollars. However, with that said I do wonder who manufactures the fluid for Kubota.

/ another Kubota UDT vs TSC premium hydro fluid? #7  
I changed and did not use the Super UDT, and boy did I notice the difference. There is a small hill on my property that I could go up in high and now I no longer could. I changed back to the Super and again I was able to climb in high.

I took it to the dealer and had the fluid changed again after 100 hours, and I didn't tell him to use Super, and guess what, yep, can't climb the hill.

The hill climb is only a small barometer for the overall performance between the Super, and other fluids. The super seems to grab better, and hold on longer before any slipping. It just seems I get better torque with the Super.

So off I went back to the dealer for yet again 10 gallons of Super Grrrrr.

Lesson learned ALWAYS specify the fluids you want to the dealer.

/ another Kubota UDT vs TSC premium hydro fluid? #8  
I did my 50 hour service this past summer and when I went to the dealer to purchase fluids, they just gave me the SUDT. I didn't question them, I only knew enough to understand that was the high-end Kubota fluid. I don't know what the tractor came with (never asked), but I've never had a problem out of my L3130 (GST). I've never tried other fluids, and don't feel any compelling reason to "experiment". Besides, I don't know nearly enough about oils and hydraulic fluids to start changing things. I tend to go by what's in the manual and what the dealer tells me, unless I get some compelling reasons otherwise (from this forum, mostly).

/ another Kubota UDT vs TSC premium hydro fluid? #9  
MessickFarmEqu said:

That's very true. There are many UTF's on the market that "meet" manufacturers spec's for UDT and SUDT. However just meeting the spec's doesn't mean it's a premium lubricant. Like everything else there's good and then there's better/best products. A lot of the UTF's on the market that meet Kubota spec's don't perform as well as the factory fluid or those made by specialty lubricant manufacturers. It all comes down to you get what you pay for. Buy a VW bug, it drives like one. Buy a BMW and it better drive like one. :) I have sold TRC's UTF to many people and it performed as well if not better than the factory fill. However it is only slightly cheaper than the Kubota branded SUDT. Buy a premium product and it performs like one.

/ another Kubota UDT vs TSC premium hydro fluid? #10  
Your covering the oils pretty good, we find differences in the oils and the life of parts from their use. The gritty on it is, the testing comparables for the ratings isn't all there is to oils!

The additives used in the oil is whats most important to the engine or for where ever oil is used.. Many often think it's the refinery but it is in the formula that makes the difference in the performance of an oil.