New tractor owner and rear remotes ???

/ New tractor owner and rear remotes ??? #1  

rural2

Bronze Member
Tractor
2004 B7800HSD
First off thank you for all the info I have received from this site during my search for a tractor:eek: which thankfully, is now over:D Long story short: I ended up buying a used 2004 B7800HSD-F w/ 180 hrs on it (in Las Vegas, off e-Bay of all places!). The tractor came with a FEL w/60" bucket, Bush Hog PHD, Gearmore BB and Kubota rear remotes w/two cylinders for down pressure on the 3-point lower arms for the PHD (so I was told).
Anyway, after the better part of two years lurking on this site trying to figure out what I wanted/needed I was within weeks of buying a new B7800 when this e-Bay tractor pops up. Then, no sooner do I get back to Oregon from Vegas and a really nice used BL4690 backhoe turns up on craigslist in Portland. So off I go again...
The question is about the Kubota rear remotes: Now that I have the tractor and a 3-point splitter might even be an option, will the splitter connect to the tractor hydraulics via one of the two Kubota rear remotes quick connects? I have done a search and am still undecided about the 3-point vs. stand alone splitters, but If I can't connect through the remotes...

/ New tractor owner and rear remotes ??? #2  
You can use the remotes for the 3 point splitter.

/ New tractor owner and rear remotes ??? #3  
You have two options about the splitter:
  • you use a rear remote. You have to let the spool opened to let a continuous hyd flow to the splitter valve.
  • if you have a backhoe installed then you'll have a direct outlet for it. You can use that outlet for the splitter.
I saw once a homemade splitter without any valve. The guy used a spool of one of his rear remotes to operate the splitter. IMHO, it wasn't the best setup I've ever seen, but it worked.

BTW, you cannot put down pressure on the 3pt hitch unless the hitch is completely up. This is really not recommended.

Welcome to TBN

/ New tractor owner and rear remotes ???
Hmmm, so I have to lock one of the two handles down for supply in this case, connect the supply line from the remote to the splitter and the return line from the splitter back to the remote. I am assuming the return will flow fluid back to the tractor even w/the remotes lever locked down? would this be an open or closed center valve?
The BH has its own pto pump/tank so thats not an option. Cylinder length allowing, couldn't down pressure be applied anywhere except full down on the tph. I am pretty new at this and have not even hooked the cylinders up yet so I don't know, have not used the tractor much for that matter (too much rain), just asking. Bear with me please.
Thanks,
Hydraulically Challenged in Oregon:confused:

/ New tractor owner and rear remotes ??? #5  
When it only takes 5 to 8 horsepower to run a splitter why do you want to run thirty horsepower engine? I say keep the splitter seperate and that way if you need the tractor it is still free.

The pro vs. con has been pretty well beat up in other threads. I am already familiar w/stand alone splitters, but this being my first tractor... There is at least an average chance I won't go w/a tph splitter. Just wanted to understand my new option before making a decision. Still a little confused regarding fluid return from the splitter on the suction side w/the valve handle locked down? That is apparently what happens though.
Thanks

Well, went ahead and got a Speeco tph splitter. Had the hyd. lines made, set it up for the quick hitch and made up a pair of log cradles before the first use. You folks were right on the money about the rear remotes. The wife unit split over a chord of alder and cedar today:D Weeell doggies! The wife unit even said she actually enjoyed herself:D:D Weeelll double doggies!!
Sorry to drag this old thread back up, but I just can't say enough good things about it... My neighbor even came down w/a couple of beers and we drank and talked about what a good splitter I got...
Gotta go, she's all cleaned up and giving me google eyes... Did I happen to mention what a good I got...